Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Building an EX2 in ITALY.

Default Re: Building an EX2 in ITALY.

Quote Originally Posted by PBY Catalina View Post
    In fact I don't know...
    Okay i'm gonna find out. I'm in contact with CC just was a bit impatient over the weekend.

Hi Jan,
    glad you got in touch with Yves!

It is correct: the complete kits are sold and shipped... without just a few parts, on purpose. They are the ELT, the main battery, the backup battery and the actual paint.

The first three are "time limited", and its a waste to have them while you are building. By the time you are done.... they will be timed out (ELT) or dead.

The paint is not included because so many people choose so many different colors and types of paint. I know Yves has selected a local shop in Italy to do his, and they will use their own specific paint.

However, all the covering, chemicals, etc, are included in the Kit. It seems Yves had no problem when they arrived into Italy... I dont know if customs even knows all the 8,000+ parts that are in the crate!
    -----------------------------

Yves: Congrats on your first inspection being complete! It was great meeting you.... We just got home from Switzerland last night.

Thx, Rick

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    CubCrafters Dealer for AZ/NM/UT/CO/southern WY
    www.suncountrycubs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bosshardt View Post
    Hi Jan,
    glad you got in touch with Yves!

It is correct: the complete kits are sold and shipped... without just a few parts, on purpose. They are the ELT, the main battery, the backup battery and the actual paint.
    Yeah Rick i did, thanks for connecting us.
    Now that makes a lot of sense with the batteries and ELT.

Default Update 6

Work on the right wing progressed much faster, thanks to the accumulated experience on the left one. With the advice of other builders, the tank straps assembly was delayed until just before the installation of the fuel tanks, to facilitate the work on the ribs.

IMG_5002.jpg

My technique for adjusting the fairings on the spars is now well done. It differs somewhat from the method explained in the construction manuals in that I first assemble the two parts on the spars and ream the two parts simultaneously, before disassembling them for deburring, and then pull them up and torque.

IMG_5005.jpg

The squaring went easily.

IMG_5023.jpg

My little homemade ruler is still very useful for squaring.

IMG_5029.jpg

Measurement of drag wires before installation of tanks:

IMG_5027.jpg

These fixtures are very well invented, but ultimately serve more to reassure than to make adjustments because the parts are remarkably precise and require very few adjustments. Only one rivet caused me difficulties and had to be replaced:

IMG_5062.jpg

Default Adventure further

This new little Jimny got inspiration...

IMG_5033.jpg
    Last edited by PBY Catalina; 07-02-2021 at 05:24 AM.

Default Right wing finished

For the right wing jury struts, and as suggested by CubCrafters, I decided to apply directly the Service Bulletin SK-SB007 and install Cherry Max rivets.

IMG_5065 - copie.jpg

One last check of the upper rivets before bending the lower part of the leading edge skin:

IMG_5078.jpg

To rivet the leading edge skin top edge, those cleco/clamps are very useful and intensively used, together with the Cleveland-Tools block:

IMG_5441.jpg

I used again those long bolds to install the fuel tanks. Despite this the tightening of these tank straps remains one of the most delicate steps of the wing assembly.

IMG_5447.jpg

The finished wings were packed in cellophane and stored away from dust before inspection and covering.

IMG_5460 - copie.jpg

IMG_5477.jpg

TO BE CONTINUED…

Default Update 7 - fuselage

The fuselage moved back in the garage:

IMG_5491.jpg

A paint hood has been installed.

IMG_5503_Fotor.jpg

Yellow aviation grade primer is sprayed on all aluminium exposed parts.
    Here on the rudder pedals:

IMG_5509.jpg

CorrosionX protective oil has been whizzed in all steel tubes.

IMG_5690 - copie.jpg

Mounting the rear support of the elevator pulleys, also protected against corrosion and greased with aviation grade lubricant.

IMG_4591 - copie.jpg

All safetying are performed according the procedure described in Sabena technics TE-G.EN’s manuals that are expanded versions of FAA AC 43.13-1B

IMG_5696 - copie.jpg

Control of the elevator cables rooting during the bottom stringers installation.

IMG_5714.jpgIMG_5714.jpg

Heat duct and heat shield installation on the floorboard

IMG_5728.jpg

The invisible parts are protected by yellow primer. The visible parts are then over-coated with a grey-aluminum finish.

IMG_5740.jpg

IMG_5747.jpg

IMG_5749.jpg

We had difficulty securing the elbow to the base of the master cylinder. The elbow was either too much or not tight enough to be in the right position. The elbows will be replaced.

IMG_5750 - copie.jpg

Default Italian break !

I have read here on this forum : " take a break and have a beer".

Here in Italy we say: " take a break and .... mangiamo la Carbonara e beviamo il vino!

20210605_215943 - copie.jpg
    Last edited by PBY Catalina; 07-02-2021 at 08:14 AM.

Default Fuselage - continued

The pre-cutting of the floorboard is very precise and the adjustments with the Dremel were few:

IMG_5753 - copie.jpg

The floorboard was attached to the fuselage using a torque screwdriver:

IMG_5757 - copie.jpg

Verification of the leveling of the fuselage with water and bubble levers before installing aileron stop plate.

IMG_5792.jpg

Default Laser show

Horizontal & vertical laser beams have been used to adjust the flight control column and the ailerons stop plate:

IMG_5800 - copie.jpg

IMG_5833 - copie.jpg

IMG_5838 - copie.jpg