Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Belly Pods and CO levels

Default Re: Belly Pods and CO levels

Quote Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
    If they look the same I will give it a try. Now the big job is getting to that connector on the GEA24.
    They have the same color code, the same description, and the review comments say they work with Garmin. Also referenced in a Vans forum discussion. I think your risk is zero.

All the factory avionics work is done before the boot cowl goes on. The avionics gets a lot harder to work on after the boot cowl is fitted but the mod center seems to manage. The big hole that opens up when the GDU is removed makes working in there a lot easier than working from underneath. However, my intermittent CHT problem went away so I have not needed to pull GEA 24 connectors (yet).

Got the Aithre EX2 CO detector working in the BlueTooth mode on my iPad. Seems to work fine. If the app is running as soon as the Aithre EX2 is powered up it pairs with the iPad and starts receiving CO readings. I had to rig up a 5 volt power supply in the airplane to run the Aithre EX2 like this.

Made more flights with LewAero belly tank on my SS at different power settings. Highest CO was 4 ppm. So the LewAero tank on the SS does not seem contribute to CO in the cockpit.

Looks like the Garmin GEA24 is easier to get to than I thought. Removing the G3X panel reveals the GEA24. The P243 plug is where you need to insert 4 pins to drive the Aithre EX2. So the trick will be to pull that plug, flip it upside down, remove the cover and pop in 4 female pins into the connector in a very tight space.

Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Where did you mount the detector itself? I have the same unit in hand hoping it can be installed during build.

Quote Originally Posted by hawgdrvr View Post
    Where did you mount the detector itself? I have the same unit in hand hoping it can be installed during build.
    I have not permanently mounted it yet or hooked it up to the G3X. Thinking about just sticking it to the top of the GEA24 with some double sided tape once it is hard wired to GEA24.

I seem to recall notes of it not being near electronics. I was thinking of left or right knee area.

Quote Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
    So the trick will be to pull that plug, flip it upside down, remove the cover and pop in 4 female pins into the connector in a very tight space.
    Once you have identified the required pin locations I suggest marking them, one at a time, by inserting a tracer wire. It's a lot easier to insert each pin at the tracer wire than to try to identify the location while inserting the pin. I have not worked on that connector but I imagine that pin extraction to fix location errors would be quite challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by hawgdrvr View Post
    I seem to recall notes of it not being near electronics. I was thinking of left or right knee area.
    Install notes had that caution owing to wireless coverage. I will be hard wiring the unit (if I can get to the connector).

I purchased the Aithre Shield and it was delivered today. It is a nice little unit that looks impressive. I downloaded the app onto my iPhone and my phone does not see it under the Bluetooth “my devices”. It is supposed to autopair but it is invisible to the phone.

It seemed to pair up fine for you Bob on an iPad. I’m not sure what my issue is but so far it is a no-go.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    I purchased the Aithre Shield and it was delivered today. It is a nice little unit that looks impressive. I downloaded the app onto my iPhone and my phone does not see it under the Bluetooth “my devices”. It is supposed to autopair but it is invisible to the phone.

It seemed to pair up fine for you Bob on an iPad. I’m not sure what my issue is but so far it is a no-go.
    It does not show up as a BlueTooth device. Just pairs. How are you powering it?

This model has a rechargeable battery and an on/off switch.

The app says: “Shield not paired” and there is no data being sent. It seems like I’m missing a step but don’t know what it might be.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011