Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: FX3 with 80 or 83 inch prop

Default Re: Anything out there more durable?

Not sure if anyone will reply to this old thread, but wondering if there is another Prop out there more durable than the 83" Hartzell? FX3 owner, with the 83" prop on 31"s. Landed in some super rocky mud, not realizing how muddy it was, and upon taking off beat the crap out of my prop. A few gouges and several nicks on the backside and edges. Anyway, just wondering if this is the top of the line and or the most durable prop out there for more "extreme," to me, backcountry landings? I should have not landed there of course, but figured this prop was more durable... What do I lose or gain, performance wise, if switching over to something else, if it exists?

I am sending the prop to Hartzell for evaluation, and repair hopefully, but wouldn't mind having a spare around. Sucks not to be flying!

Lastly, Hartzell is now $7,398 each blade with a 20-22 week lead time direct.

Thanks!

Default Re: FX3 with 80 or 83 inch prop

Hey Ben,
    bummer!
    I dont know about other options, as Ive not heard of anyone putting anything else on the FX3. The 80" and 83" blades are composite and wood, designed for light weight and strength, but not necessarily durable against rocks.

The other major type of prop blade is metal, and that is considerably heavier. And.... would have been pretty banged up too with rocks. Probably easier to file out, depending on the size of the divots, but then it needs to be rebalanced again.

Lets see if anyone else answers your post, with ideas of what they've put on FX3's and EX3's.

Rick

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    CubCrafters Dealer for AZ/NM/UT/CO/southern WY
    www.suncountrycubs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bosshardt View Post
    The 80" and 83" blades are composite and wood, designed for light weight and strength, but not necessarily durable against rocks.
    Composite yes, but no wood. The blades use foam cores, CRP skins, and nickel leading edges. The leading edges are more durable than the leading edges of aluminum props. The rear face is what seems to be more vulnerable.

Anyone concerned about, or experiencing, prop damage should probably read Hartzell Manual No. 145 (Propeller Owners Manual) and Hartzell Manual No. 170 (Composite Propeller Blade Field Maintenance and Minor Repair Manual).

Hartzell also has on-line videos showing composite blade repair techniques some of which can be used by owners.
    Last edited by Andy; 03-20-2023 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Composite yes, but no wood. The blades use foam cores, CRP skins, and nickel leading edges. The leading edges are more durable than the leading edges of aluminum props. The rear face is what seems to be more vulnerable.

Anyone concerned about, or experiencing, prop damage should probably read Hartzell Manual No. 145 (Propeller Owners Manual) and Hartzell Manual No. 170 (Composite Propeller Blade Field Maintenance and Minor Repair Manual).

Hartzell also has on-line videos showing composite blade repair techniques some of which can be used by owners.
    I'll second Andy's recommendation, the owner's manual comes with every prop and has pretty generous field repair criteria and they can do more at a prop shop. I'm not aware of any other props flying on FX3s. An aluminum blade prop would make it pretty nose-heavy.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    I'll second Andy's recommendation, the owner's manual comes with every prop and has pretty generous field repair criteria and they can do more at a prop shop. I'm not aware of any other props flying on FX3s. An aluminum blade prop would make it pretty nose-heavy.

Thanks for the replies. I am sending it in to Hartzell for assessment and hopefully repair. I still wouldn't mind having a seconding prop, not to mention a prop while I await the repair. Pete, does CubCrafters have any available? I am having a hard time getting a response back from CubCrafters via emails.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Crowder View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I am sending it in to Hartzell for assessment and hopefully repair. I still wouldn't mind having a seconding prop, not to mention a prop while I await the repair. Pete, does CubCrafters have any available? I am having a hard time getting a response back from CubCrafters via emails.

Thanks,
    Hi Ben, I spoke with our parts team this afternoon and it sounds like they have been able to connect with you and get your prop order questions answered.

Thank you
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc