Thread: Avionics Upgrade to an S-LSA CC11-160 with an older My Panel

Default Avionics Upgrade to an S-LSA CC11-160 with an older My Panel

Hi All,

I've recently began looking after an older S-LSA CC as the title suggests (s/n 193) with what I think would be one of the original My Panel layouts with 6* 2.25in instrument holes. Current fit is; analogue ASI, Trig radio, Electronics International RPM on the left side and MGL Infinity (black and white) Altimeter, Electronics International Oil temp and Pressure and a Becker Transponder on the right hand side. It also has the old EI monitoring system consisting of 3 lights; Left, Right and Volts.

It's a pretty antiquated system and with really no engine indications or even bus voltage it is in need of an update. It is also going to need an 1090ES ADSB solution (New Zealand) before the end of the year. The most cost effective solution would be to update with the colour MGL offerings including a basic engine monitor and perhaps a Trig Transponder solution.

Problem is that being an S-LSA I understand all changes need to be factory approved. My question is how does this work in practise? Do you ask the factory to certify what you want to do, or do you ask for already factory certified recommendations?

All help appreciated.

Cheers,

James.

Default Re: Avionics Upgrade to an S-LSA CC11-160 with an older My Panel

Quote Originally Posted by J12345T View Post
    Problem is that being an S-LSA I understand all changes need to be factory approved. My question is how does this work in practise? Do you ask the factory to certify what you want to do, or do you ask for already factory certified recommendations?
    Hi James,

There's a form here http://cubcrafters.com/pdfs/cc11-mra-request-form.pdf but I'd start with emailing Jon Delamarter who is unfailingly helpful..

I often wondered whether I'd made the right choice about not getting a bunch of engine monitoring on #193 but I really enjoyed it!

Cheers
    Bob Gray, FX-3 #38, ZK-FXC

Smile Re: Avionics Upgrade to an S-LSA CC11-160 with an older My Panel

Quote Originally Posted by kiwibob View Post
    Hi James,

There's a form here http://cubcrafters.com/pdfs/cc11-mra-request-form.pdf but I'd start with emailing Jon Delamarter who is unfailingly helpful..

I often wondered whether I'd made the right choice about not getting a bunch of engine monitoring on #193 but I really enjoyed it!

Cheers
    Hi KiwiBob,

Thanks for the link. Yes #193 certainly requires you to 'trust the force' with respect to aircraft systems. You literally live or die on the single Volt light.. ;-)

Wonderful aircraft though.

Cheers.

Default Re: Avionics Upgrade to an S-LSA CC11-160 with an older My Panel

Is the following required if you have an SLSA that was converted to experimental? I assume not, and that a qualified A&P can make that determination but couldn't be done by owner, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by kiwibob View Post
    Hi James,

Cheers