Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
Steve,
Glad for you and the parts. I am curious about your general flying conditions, rpm ranges, leaning habits and others which I can compare to.
Starting off we at least know our oil temps are correct thanks to your help.

Thanks, VT Glenn
General flying on any given day the NW:
Cattos climb prop 84 x 42.5
2100-2300rpm
CHTs: 350-370
EGTs: 1250-1350
OIL: 180-195, prior to my oil door setup, winter oil temps were 150-160 without tape on the cooler.
LEANING: I wish this was more of an exact science. I always stay ROP according to my Dynon, 50-80 degrees rich of EGT peak based on the first EGT to peak, at that point the remaining cylinder will be very ROP. I use this process at anything over 4000’ during cruise, 2300-2400 rpm.

Normal flying around the area is usually between 1900-2100 rpm which I lean slightly and keep the fuel burn between 6-7gph and still keeping it on the ROP even though I was told that at those low rpm you can’t hurt the engine by leaning as long as its running smooth. Other pilots I’ve talked to simply lean until the engine starts running rough and then richens until smooth running, and has never had a problem.

As I stated earlier my Dynon has never shown any kind of heating issue but who knows what’s going on in those cylinders. Unfortunately, the pitting looks like heat, I just don’t know why/how its making it based on my instruments. I have tested my probes and they read correctly. As far as the rings wearing out, who knows, over heating? bad/wrong rings? Bad break-in? wish I knew for sure.

My first flight and 45 minutes of the break-in was done by CubCrafters and I did the remainder. How knows, maybe I did something wrong in the break-in, but I did get the CHTs to drop in classic form which I was told happens when the rings seat. I proceeded with the rest of the break-in period as defined in the CC procedure.

Since I get a ‘Do Over’ on my engine break-in, I will be paying more attention to temperatures and oil consumption during that break-in period.

I welcome any thoughts because I know there is plenty of experience out there.