Thread: Amphibious Hydraulic Leak

Default Amphibious Hydraulic Leak

Have a seeping fitting in the belly under the front seat. Has anyone had to do any work on these? Access hole is not large enough to provide much help. Curious which is the better route; pulling the floor boards or trying to pull the sub cowl?

Default Re: Amphibious Hydraulic Leak

Is this a PA18/CC18 or Carbon Cub/XCub?

If it has wood floors (PA18/CC18) likely the best access would be to open the lower part of the cheek cowls (sheet metal between the boot cowl and fabric about 8-10 wide that the lines exit the belly through) The floor isn't designed to remove with the fabric on, there are nyloc nuts on the bottom side of all the fasteners (not nutplates)

Removing the floor on a Carbon Cub/XCub is a BIG job but doable if there really is no other access. Usually you can find a way around that.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Default Re: Amphibious Hydraulic Leak

Hi Pete,
    Thanks for responding to my post. This is a wood-floor CC18. I’ve been having consistent, small amounts of hydraulic fluid leaking down the belly from the seem that separates the cheek cowling from the belly. Was thinking it was coming from the brakes, but I was finally able to get a lighted boroscope in there and found the source of the fluid.

Thanks for the suggestion. We’ll try approaching from the cheek cowling first.

Happy Flying!