Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EX-3 Ordered- Now what?!

Default EX-3 Ordered- Now what?!

Hello CarbonCub Drivers & Builders,

I'm a newer member to forum and have been considering doing a CC kit for several years. I pulled the trigger on an EX-3 kit today & just wired money for all 3 kits, hoping to get a July ship date. It's my first build so I'm excited and very intimated. Now in the mean time, I'm wanting to get my hangar in order and all the tools etc I will need initially. Anyone with advise or suggestions for a newbie to work on in prep for the kit to arrive, please don't be shy. I think I am most intimidated with the decisions around painting, but that is long way down the road. I don't have the dropbox file with tool list yet, but here is what I already planned on getting.

1. ordered the zackair DVD set to watch
    2. Wing rotators- considering having them fabricated or purchasing Bogerts (Unless someone has some they wish to sell), anyone have good set of fabrication plans?
    2. Cleveland (avery) CarbonCub tool kit
    3. SPI Pro360
    4. Already ordered a hundred spring clamps
    5. Tables/sawhorses
    6. Make plan on logging build/documenting etc

Anxiously looking forward to becoming a builder, hope I am up for the task.
    Zach

Cool Re: EX-3 Ordered- Now what?!

i built a ex2 last year and a pa 14 3 years ago from scratch I have a progress update 74 pg and now working on my ex3 if you want you can come over and help with mine my frame is ready to cover and wings are going to be ready to cover in a week or so.you won’t be disappointed at all with that kit.if you can go look at one being built you can get a lot of pointers that way.the manual are good but can’t cover every thing. Cleco as much as u can till your sure that everything is how it’s so posed to be then rivet them. I hope you enjoy the build as much as I do.

Default Re: EX-3 Ordered- Now what?!

Wish I was closer to MI and I'd definately come watch if nothing else. Being a first timer I don't know what I don't know.... There is a builder nearby that is finishing his EX-3 and has DAR coming next week. After that I'm going to reach out to him and see about getting together for any pointers he can give. Its biggest project I have committed to in awhile. Kit should delivery soon after OSH18, so i'll be hyped up from the show and ready to start. Good look on your build!

Quote Originally Posted by jeepgord View Post
    i built a ex2 last year and a pa 14 3 years ago from scratch I have a progress update 74 pg and now working on my ex3 if you want you can come over and help with mine my frame is ready to cover and wings are going to be ready to cover in a week or so.you won’t be disappointed at all with that kit.if you can go look at one being built you can get a lot of pointers that way.the manual are good but can’t cover every thing. Cleco as much as u can till your sure that everything is how it’s so posed to be then rivet them. I hope you enjoy the build as much as I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach83 View Post
    Wish I was closer to MI and I'd definately come watch if nothing else. Being a first timer I don't know what I don't know.... There is a builder nearby that is finishing his EX-3 and has DAR coming next week. After that I'm going to reach out to him and see about getting together for any pointers he can give. Its biggest project I have committed to in awhile. Kit should delivery soon after OSH18, so i'll be hyped up from the show and ready to start. Good look on your build!
    Welcome Zach! I would recommend you search “Chuck and Ryans Build” in this forum and read every page. When I built my EX2 I put a few posts on things I found that were either unclear in the manual or hints/clarifications I found. Click on my name here on the left and then you can see all my previous post which you can read (a couple are hints for newbies). Should get the EX3 finished and certified next week so looking forward to meeting you and would be glad to help out when you get yours. I have another kit shipping to me in a few week, so that will be my 3rd kit. Love it!
    Last edited by Daveembry; 04-26-2018 at 05:06 AM.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Here is a great option for the digital level. I used this on my build. Fantastic value.

https://www.chipsfly.com/product/30-141.html

David

Quote Originally Posted by David H View Post
    Here is a great option for the digital level. I used this on my build. Fantastic value.

https://www.chipsfly.com/product/30-141.html

David
    Thanks, that is a great deal.

That’s a great price on a digital level, thanks!

Dave, can’t believe you are about to start #3. When you certify and can breathe for a minute I’ll connect w you and I’d love to come see your plane and take any wisdom you can offer.

I just read manuals last night for first time and built the horses and wing carrier today.... still 3-4 months to kill.
    , but I’m gonna have my hangar setup ready to start. Can’t wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want something to do build your own rotators and another set of saw horses and build both wings at same time if you got the room that’s a huge time saver.drawings for rotators are in drop box

The manual was saying it’s not recommended to do both wings at same time, but you are saying it’s a big time saver if able? I guess the risk is confusion over installing the wrong part (R vs L). I can see where there would be some efficiency in doing the same step at the same time for each wing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cleco as much as u can use zip ties to hold parts in place till your sure all parts are in proper sequence then rivet them. X braces also are high and low pay attention to we’re ther at on brackets so there not crossing over or under each other. Brace wire holes line up with holes in spar.