Thread: Anyone considering replacing the SL40 comm with the new Garmin GTR 205?

Default Anyone considering replacing the SL40 comm with the new Garmin GTR 205?

Hi,
    I'm considering replacing the SL40 comm in my Sport Cub with the new Garmin GTR 205. Much bigger display..easier on the eyes etc. I believe it is a slide in replacement..no new tray required. The rear jacks are different so that will require some adjustment. Any comments are appreciated!
    Thanks, Mike

2007 Sport Cub Serial #10

Default Re: Anyone considering replacing the SL40 comm with the new Garmin GTR 205?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike McD View Post
    Hi,
    I'm considering replacing the SL40 comm in my Sport Cub with the new Garmin GTR 205. Much bigger display..easier on the eyes etc. I believe it is a slide in replacement..no new tray required.
    I could not find an installation manual for the GTR 205 but a post from G3xpert says you need a new rack and connector change:

• 1.3” tall height, simplifies replacement of the popular Slimline SL30 and SL40 radios (requires rack and connector change)

Ref: https://vansairforce.net/threads/new...1-2024.224115/

Hopefully the connector pins are the same type and the wiring can be moved to the new connector without needing to re-terminate everything.

Default Re: Anyone considering replacing the SL40 comm with the new Garmin GTR 205?

Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I could not find an installation manual for the GTR 205 but a post from G3xpert says you need a new rack and connector change:

• 1.3” tall height, simplifies replacement of the popular Slimline SL30 and SL40 radios (requires rack and connector change)

Ref: https://vansairforce.net/threads/new...1-2024.224115/

Hopefully the connector pins are the same type and the wiring can be moved to the new connector without needing to re-terminate everything.