Thread: Warning:

Rowe, NM; St. George Island, FL; Montgomery, AL

Default Warning:

Hey y'all: I just had a (very minor) ground loop...I was landing on grass, stomped the brakes. The airplane started a bit left, so I increased pressure on the right rudder pedal/brake and (slow) bang...she went around to the right. The rudder pedal was stuck forward. I kicked the left pedal and it loosened up and I taxiied back...

Turns out that the carbon fiber sheet on the side of the airplane somehow got bent up and stuck in front of the rudder pedal, locking it forward. I guess the quick fix for now is to just cut it out where it's bent. I might replace the panel.

I have big feet, but don't particularly remember hitting that panel. So...this could have been a pretty large problem landing on pavement and if it happened early in the landing roll. Very helpless feeling going around. Again, this was NOT a problem...grass and pretty darn slow...but shocking.

Make sure your panels are ok...

Jim

Default Re: Warning:

The forward end of both side panels should be outboard of the vertical tubes by the firewall. With the interior panel properly in place you should be able to see a vertical tube just outboard of the rudder pedal. If the interior panel is inboard of that vertical tube it is not installed properly.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Thanks, Pete: I'll look tomorrow. Given that it is pretty severely bent now, I'll probably just trim it off...and I'll get a new panel and put it in, I guess.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Harper View Post
    Thanks, Pete: I'll look tomorrow. Given that it is pretty severely bent now, I'll probably just trim it off...and I'll get a new panel and put it in, I guess.

Jim
    Jim, I'm curious can you post s picture?
    Glenn 40M

Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    Jim, I'm curious can you post s picture?
    Glenn 40M
    Why yes I can! So...it turns out that there was a problem with a fairly recent (20 hours or so ago) condition inspection. The panel in question was installed slightly wrong and one of the bolts on the rudder pedal assembly was rubbing on it. After some time it wore a hole in the panel (as seen in the photo).

I'm not gonna mention the shop in question unless they ask me to name them, but they contacted me yesterday, 'fessed up, and are going to take steps to get the airplane back to their shop (more'n a few miles from me) and replace said panel and basically make it right at absolutely no charge to me. I would shout their names to the rooftops, given the absolute honesty and terrific customer service that they are giving me, but again, don't want to show them up for the original...minor...mistake. Oh, and CubCrafters has promised to make the panel available to the shop at a discounted rate...another example of outstanding customer service. The whole deal reminds me what a community we are.

To everyone...this is a mistake that can be pretty easily made, and one that has the potential for fairly dangerous consequences. Same event happening right after touchdown on one of those landings that we go for a greaser on a paved runway instead of a minimum energy maximum effort at short landing on grass could have resulted in a pretty eventful ground loop with potential for some damage. So I would check that panel after a condition inspection and make sure it is right. They take it off on every annual to replace the cheek battery that backup powers the ignition system.

The guy who I was giving a ride to said...after the 270 degree pirouette...said: "you're just showing off now!"...I replied..."nope, we were just in a crash!" Minor that it was.

He'll ride with me again. Oh, and I took the panel off and the airplane is perfectly flyable...

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Harper; 10-22-2016 at 03:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Harper View Post
    Why yes I can! So...it turns out that there was a problem with a fairly recent (20 hours or so ago) condition inspection. The panel in question was installed slightly wrong and one of the bolts on the rudder pedal assembly was rubbing on it. After some time it wore a hole in the panel (as seen in the photo).

I'm not gonna mention the shop in question unless they ask me to name them, but they contacted me yesterday, 'fessed up, and are going to take steps to get the airplane back to their shop (more'n a few miles from me) and replace said panel and basically make it right at absolutely no charge to me. I would shout their names to the rooftops, given the absolute honesty and terrific customer service that they are giving me, but again, don't want to show them up for the original...minor...mistake. Oh, and CubCrafters has promised to make the panel available to the shop at a discounted rate...another example of outstanding customer service. The whole deal reminds me what a community we are.

To everyone...this is a mistake that can be pretty easily made, and one that has the potential for fairly dangerous consequences. Same event happening right after touchdown on one of those landings that we go for a greaser on a paved runway instead of a minimum energy maximum effort at short landing on grass could have resulted in a pretty eventful ground loop with potential for some damage. So I would check that panel after a condition inspection and make sure it is right. They take it off on every annual to replace the cheek battery that backup powers the ignition system.

The guy who I was giving a ride to said...after the 270 degree pirouette...said: "you're just showing off now!"...I replied..."nope, we were just in a crash!" Minor that it was.

He'll ride with me again. Oh, and I took the panel off and the airplane is perfectly flyable...

Jim
    Thanks Jim.

40M

Default Re: Warning: RUDDER PEDAL AND RIGHT SIDE FRONT PANEL

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    The forward end of both side panels should be outboard of the vertical tubes by the firewall. With the interior panel properly in place you should be able to see a vertical tube just outboard of the rudder pedal. If the interior panel is inboard of that vertical tube it is not installed properly.
    Just by incident, Mitch mentioned this to me just last week when I mentioned (while building my EX2) that the rudder pedals were VERY close to that panel. He then told me about tucking that end on the outboard side of that tube. The manual doesn't mention it or show it installed that way and I wouldn't have if he hadn't mentioned it. Need a manual change for builders for sure to show that.

Here is a link to a post where placement of the side panels was noted back in January. ("Note the leading edge of the interior panels goes on the outside of the frame to keep them in place.") It is a good idea to test fit those panels before the boot cowl is installed to check for clearance issues, as noted in the post. Hope this helps.

http://www.cubcraftersforums.com/sho...ll=1#post14556

Default Re: Warning: Ignition Backup Battery - Side Panel

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    Pete

Good point...mine is corrected now! Maybe a note in the maintenance manual to ensure it is reinstalled correctly in par 4e, pg. 280.

Jon
    =======
    Here is what it says...
    "(4) INSTALLATION (a) Connect negative lead, the black heat shrink covered wire, to battery.
    (b) Connect positive lead, the wire with white silicone tube over it, to battery.
    (c) Place the battery in the mounting space.
    (d) Place cover over battery and secure 4 quick turn fasteners.
    (e) Reinstall right forward interior panel.