Thread: 12" N Numbers for Canada

Default 12" N Numbers for Canada

I didn't want to thread creep on chucks build so I just started a new one.

Troy you are right about going into Canada. This is from the EAA:

Registration Marks
    The six inch fuselage or tail numbers and 20 inch under wing numbers on Canadian aircraft are acceptable in the US. US aircraft having smaller 2" to 3" numbers must temporarily affix 12" numbers when entering any ADIZ or DEWIZ, but 2-3" numbers are acceptable for crossing the Canadian border. Check your chart to determine if you will penetrate an ADIZ or DEWIZ during your flight.

I thought you crossed an ADIZ anytime you come into US airspace?? Has anyone gone from the lower 48 trough Canada to Alaska with 3" numbers?
    Last edited by Cubrath; 07-10-2016 at 05:55 AM.

Default Re: 12" N Numbers for Canada

If you don't go to out over the ocean, you will generally be clear of the ADIZ.

I did once fly victor airways from Ketchican to Olympia WA which strays a couple of miles through the ADIZ and took a chance that I wouldn't be intercepted with my 3" numbers.

There are only a few places where the ADIZ is over land, like the Queen Charlotte Islands.

The maps on Skyvector show the Canada and Alaska ADIZ boundaries.

It's also a requirement to have FCC radio station and operators licences for crossing the Canadian border, but I know many people take a chance without and I've never heard of anyone being caught.

Default Re: 12" N Numbers for Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Albery View Post
    ......It's also a requirement to have FCC radio station and operators licences for crossing the Canadian border, but I know many people take a chance without and I've never heard of anyone being caught....
    Hi Mark

is that part of a full FAA PPL?

I only have a Private Pilot (Foreigen Based) certificate. Before I could get FAA PP(FB) certificate, I did have to get CASA (Australian version of FAA and NTSB combined; generally a PITA) to test and confirm on my paperwork that I was proficient in English (well at least the Australian version of it).

Thankfully a call to the helpful people at the Cincinnati FSDO before I left gave me a heads up so I could get it sorted before arriving.

Flying the PNW, up into Canada and on to Alaska are on my bucket list so I have better add a FCC licence to the pile of paperwork needed for a non-resident alien to go anywhere or do anything in a light aircraft.

All the best. Peter E.