Thread: Static check with G3X

Default Static check with G3X

Anyone done a static check with the G3X with AOA? I have an avionics guy coming on Thursday and after reading the notes on the AOA it sounds like you need to have the AOA hooked up to a static source as well. There is not a lot of room on that probe. Does it take special equipment for the garmin probe? This is the first G3X he has done. Don't want to screw anything up.

Default Re: Static check with G3X

When I built my SuperStol I did not add the AOA on the G3X and just checked it as normal like the AOA was not there. That worked fine. That is my plan with this one, but hopefully someone chimes in with a more definitive answer.

Mike,

When we do the certification for the transponder, we disconnect the lines at the GSU 25 and plumb our pitot/static test box right into the ports on the GSU. After checking the transponder and the altitude reporting, we then put everything back together and do the static leak check (pull vacuum on static system raising altitude to 1000 feet above field elevation then watch for leaks no more than 100 feet per minute).

As far as how we plumb into the GSU ports, our tester is set up to be able to run two lines from it's static side and one from its pitot side. We connect one static line to GSU Static port, one static line to GSU AOA port, and the pitot line goes to the GSU Pitot port. I don't know what tester your avionics guy has or how it's set up but the idea is to keep all the pressures across all three GSU ports exactly the same. The problem Garmin is talking about is when you pull the pressure down on one port but leave the other at ambient, the differential between them can cause damage when the pressures are excessive.

-Matt Dickey-
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Matt Dickey
    Manager,

Thanks Matt,

I will pass that information along!

Mike

My plane will never fly IFR so I don't need to have the pitot-static systems tested. However, I have been reading that it's really a good idea to have the system on a new plane tested at least once. I will be flying in Class B, C or D airspace regularly so I'll definitely need to have the transponder checked and certified biennially.

What have others done about checking the static system for a VFR only airplane? And what have these checks cost...both checks together or just a transponder check?
    Jim Morrical

Quote Originally Posted by jmorrical View Post
    What have others done about checking the static system for a VFR only airplane? And what have these checks cost...both checks together or just a transponder check?
    A transponder check for a VFR aircraft requires no test set connection to the pitot or static system. The test is done at ambient pressures. My recent cost has varied between $75 and $110.

There is no requirement to check the static system of a VFR aircraft. 14 CFR 91.411 applies only to aircraft operated under IFR.

Just as an aside - the transponder check can be performed on a test bench with no connection to the aircraft static system, encoder, or pressure altitude source.
    Last edited by Andy; 08-16-2023 at 08:43 PM.