Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Catto Prop installation literature

Default Re: Catto Prop installation literature

Not so lucky. Now what?

Prop Bolt.jpg
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Since there has not been any response from the forum and/or CC, I'll mention the elephant in the room.

Non protruding threads (partial engagement) is not acceptable. This violates all thread (Aerospace and Commercial) specifications. If I'm wrong, please provide your source.

I am now trying to acquire proper grade and length bolts.

This reference is for space flight fastening systems but is used as a standard practice in industry. Yes there are other references.
    Reference:

Last edited by aeroaddict; 05-21-2023 at 02:59 PM.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Thanks to this forum I have discovered I too have the same issue. No protruding threads! Where is cubcrafters?? Can we get an answer please.

I found this interesting chatter about Catto Propellers and hardware from Saber Manufacturing. It has some examples of quality control issues and tight fit of bolts thru prop hub. During my installation attempts I found a couple bolt and/or hole combination were a bit tight. Someone on this linked thread said there could be torque implications. I don’t know about their suggested solutions however. Nontheless it was interesting to me.

This from SuperCub.org:

https://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?53900-Catto-Prop-Bolts
    Last edited by jmorrical; 05-22-2023 at 03:26 PM.
    Jim Morrical

Super Moderator

If you have AN6H-44A bolts supplied by CubCrafters, either with a EX kit or as part of a factory Carbon Cub SS installation, you are just fine.

These bolts are just over 4.5” in length, and as such, will not protrude out of the back of the propeller flange bushings, but the thread engagement in those propeller hub bushings is sufficient to (exceeds) the actual strength of the bolt itself. These bolts were used from 2010 to 2013 because longer 5” bolts available at the time did not have sufficient thread length to fully torque up without the threads themselves bottoming out against the propeller flange bushing.

From 2013 and on, CubCrafters has supplied and installed SP56003-001 bolts with Catto props on the Carbon Cub SS, EX (1 & 2) and FX (1 & 2) which have an overall length of 5”, and which also have an adequately long thread length to torque up properly.

Either bolt is fine, but if you do have the shorter AN6H-44A bolts and want to replace them with the longer SP56003-001 bolts, you can order them through our webstore for $275, at this link:

https://store.cubcrafters.com/Catto-...-5_p_3083.html
    Brad Damm - Vice President of Sales and Marketing
    CubCrafters - Yakima, Washington
    Office: (509) 248-9491
    Cell: (509) 961-2313