Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adding striping.

Default Re: Adding striping.

It looks really nice. You'll soon have a great looking and fantastic performing plane finished.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Cool, I would never have thought that a yellow stripe would have looked so good with red and black. Looks good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Default Adding striping.

Looks great!

Pete
    CCK-1865-0078
    ✈️N9PW
    Severna Park, MD
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Pete
    ✈️CCK-1865-0078 N9PW
    Severna Park, MD W18

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBranch View Post
    Had to give it some sun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Troy, i am spraying color on my fuse this weekend. How did you get your curved line between colors on the side? Did you just "eyeball" it with tape? A template? Tape up stripe and follow it?

Dave

There is a diagram on Drop Box that gives details on locating the paint line.

i had that diagram hanging in my garage for several months. Just pulled it down and pitched it a week ago.

as I recall it shows both the paint line and stripe locations.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by ceslaw View Post
    Dave

There is a diagram on Drop Box that gives details on locating the paint line.

i had that diagram hanging in my garage for several months. Just pulled it down and pitched it a week ago.

as I recall it shows both the paint line and stripe locations.

Chuck
    Yes, I have that but i was wondering how you "physically" draw, template or locate that curve on the plane itself. My design has a slightly different curve than the standard but I'm just trying to decide how to get it located on the fuse. I'm thinking i just have to get some masking tape and make the key locations and then just curve the tape around and back up and "eyeball" it and make adjustments to the tape line until it looks good. I'm just thinking that will be hard to get it not to be "wavy".

I laid my fuselage on its side and taped down the stripe (trim the paper off the top side down to a 1/16 inch) in its location then masked for paint. I don't think I could have gotten a smooth line with even spacing if I had not done that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubrath View Post
    I laid my fuselage on its side and taped down the stripe (trim the paper off the top side down to a 1/16 inch) in its location then masked for paint. I don't think I could have gotten a smooth line with even spacing if I had not done that.
    Ok thanks. That's what I thought was best but since I'm not using the cub crafters stripes I won't have that guideline to go by. I guess I'm just going to have to eyeball it and give it my best shot.

I was going to paint the break in colors and then come back and make a template from that to give to the vinyl people to make the stripes with. Kind of the reverse order I guess. But since I'm not using the cub crafters stripes I won't have that guideline to go by. I guess I'm just going to have to eyeball it and give it my best shot.

Thanks again.

Default Adding striping.

I actually did not know about the drop box drawing on the striping until later. I used the stripes to make the curve but I didn't get it right. That is why I moved the stripes away from the paint line to make it not look like a screw up. There the secret is out!! LOL. A good craftsman is not one who doesn't make mistakes but is one who knows how to hide them.

I never noticed the mistake after...

Last edited by TroyBranch; 10-31-2016 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBranch View Post
    I actually did not know about the drop box drawing on the striping until later. I used the stripes to make the curve but I didn't get it right. That is why I moved the stripes away from the paint line to make it not look like a screw up. There the secret is out!! LOL. A good craftsman is not one who doesn't make mistakes but is one who knows how to hide them.

I never noticed the mistake after...

haha...but it looks GREAT. I have a vinyl guy here and meeting with him shortly. He says he can actually just cut me a piece of paper defining the color change using their computer and machine.....and I can use it as a template. By the way, how wide are your stripes at the widest point? About 1-1/2 to 2"?