Thread: maximum tow weight of PA18 vs. Top Cub

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Smile maximum tow weight of PA18 vs. Top Cub

Hi fello "Cub enthusiasts",

My club and I are still at the problem of having to solve the problem of a proper tow - plane in closer future.

Still we are chartering a Pawnee, which is fine, but also only chartered. There are not many good Pawnees in Europe.
    There are allmost only old towplanes around. This will be an issue within the next years, I am sure.

We are thinking of Carbon Cub EX or maybe Top Cub.

Is there anybody who has got any experience with the Top Cub as glider tug?
    Is there any footage, video, you tube or so?
    What is the maximum certified tow-weight of the tob cub? How does it perform with a glider like Duo Discus (800kg MTOW).

Thanks, and Best, Peter.

Default Re: maximum tow weight of PA18 vs. Top Cub

Peter,

The US Air Force Academy has successfully used Super Cubs for glider tow operations for years; we've rebuilt many of them here. With a 2300 pound gross weight and 180 hp, the Top Cub would be a superior towplane to the Super Cub. In the US at least, it's usually pretty easy to get the FAA to approve for the Top Cub anything that is already approved for the Super Cub.

Here are some helpful links:
    http://www.wingsunlimitedtowhooks.com/index.html
    http://www.wingsunlimitedtowhooks.com/index.html

Kind regards,

Jon

Rowe, NM; St. George Island, FL; Montgomery, AL

I've towed with a Pawnee and a Cessna 175...and I currently fly a CCSS. The biggest problem I would see is that the airplane would overheat on tow. It is a little challenging to keep the temps down on a normal unburdened climb. Of course, doesn't take long to get to 1500 agl, so maybe? But that would be my first concern. And really, any of the higher performance gliders like to be towed and a speed (~90-100KTS) which would be challenging in a CCSS. Now, the Top Cub? As related, Super Cubs are very successful tow planes.

I may be giving you bad advice, but, figure it is worth what you pay for it!

Jim

Hi guys,

thanks for your very helpful answers. It is the best to share experience and do some brainstorming.

I also have been thinking about the towing speed. Which is indeed a major concern already and will become even more in the future.
    I got to know about a letter of the manufacturer of the JS 1 glider. Which gave the advise not to tow slower than 130 km per hour and not with a Wilga.

I have started towing with a Wilga in 2004 and have towed at several competitions, since. Since 5 years I tow with a Pawnee (235 and 260), which I love, but those are quite old, and hard to get in Europe.

Cubrafters are a very interesting option and I testflew a CCSS, which was stunning.

We will see, thanks, again, best, Peter.