Thread: Breaks/Winifred~2015, 12th-14th June. Bushwheel Awareness Week Start

Default Breaks/Winifred~2015, 12th-14th June. Bushwheel Awareness Week Start

Most of you have heard about Johnson Creek (recent Journal AOPA). Many years ago we started a week of flying to/from Johnson Creek and Dave Kirsten coined the term "Bushwheel Awareness Week" for the time between the beginning of the Breaks/Winifred (Montana) flyin and the end of Johnson Creek (Idaho). Initially, the Breaks portion picked up local aviators and folks on the way to Johnson Creek. Now days, it is a destination on its own with folks attending the Breaks and missing JC, and vice versa. The announcement below has been published in the Supercub.org site for some time. Over the years the percentage of Carbon/sport cubs has increased and it is a great place to talk CubCrafters products with folks who know them well and use them hard. Please know we would love to see you here, and you would enjoy the experience here in "the best of what is left".

" Time to kick the “Breaks” portion of Bushwheels Awareness Week in the trailing edge. As many of you know, this flyin ends a few days prior to Johnson Creek’s beginning. Many folks come here, then fly their way via back country to JC. This is unlike JC…we don’t have big raffles, a committee of beautiful women (although Montana cowgirls have their own charms), or Dave Kirsten to keep things entertaining dawn to dusk. Here we arrange meals, and facilitate your discovery of some of the last unchanged lands and friendliest folks on the planet. We camp and fly in the Missouri Breaks National Monument, Missouri River National Wild and Scenic River. It is some of the last ground left as Lewis and Clark Discovered it 200 years ago.

Winifred itself is a town of some 100 august souls. The pavement ends here with two bars…and some interesting changes underfoot. No one leaves this flyin a stranger or underfed.

There are some changes here in this place where time changes so slowly and there are only 5 buildings in town (two are bars…we have priorities). We, almost, have a luxury hotel…. No joke, a luxury hotel. While not officially “open”, Frank the manager, will let us stay there if some of you wish. Below are some photos of Deano’s room he has had reserved for the last two years… call directly and speak with Frank if you are interested.

Quick Schedule… all of this can be trumped or changed by WX:

Friday 12th June:
    Arrival, Dinner provided by "The Cubworks" at the private strip (BLM hates that) on the Missouri River. Camp there or return to hangar/hotel. We provide dinner….everything but drinks. This is a dry camp this year….the road washed out….air or boat only way in. Picnic areas, dinosaurs, fishing, and significant history all abound on the Missouri River (Heller Bottom).
    Google Earth: N 47 43 35.44 W 108 52 31.01

Saturday 13th June:
    Morning: Flight up the Missouri to the Judith River (named by William Clark after his future wife) to Lewistown, MT (KLWT) for their pancake breakfast and flyin.
    Afternoon: flying in the Missouri Breaks, dinosaur bone searches, hiking etc., We may try a poker run on the 7 official back country Missouri Breaks strips.
    Evening: Hangarburgers by the plate in the (9S7) Winifred hangar.

Sunday 14th June:
    Breakfast at the Winifred Café…departure on your own.

There is additional flying/camping in the Belt Mountains and endless other places to see from the air. Post questions and I’ll answer them. More information to come.

Below is photo of the private strip where we will have dinner on th 12th (the owner owns several KOA's and moved the cabin down when the road was working). The land here in the Wild and Scenic is much a Lewis and Clark found it. Below that a photo from the luxury hotel here in a town of 100.

134R on MIssouri.jpgIMG_6300.jpg
    Last edited by Centmont; 05-28-2015 at 04:57 PM.
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

Default Re: Breaks/Winifred~2015, 12th-14th June. Bushwheel Awareness Week Start

I'm planning to be there in the EX Ralph, weather permitting.

For those that haven't been to the Breaks; it really is in the middle of nowhere. And that is what makes it such a cool place. I came to really appreciate the Breaks when I was a college student and worked on a ranch there during the summers. I get back there whenever I can now. And Ralph and his crew do a great job of putting together a first class flyin.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Default Re: Breaks/Winifred~2015, 12th-14th June. Bushwheel Awareness Week Start

It's always great to see you Dan. I just overflew Plains on the way home from Yakima in a CC. Things are coming together. See you in two weeks. Ralph
    Ralph Rogers
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

Cut/copy from Supercub.org

Yes weather does look good. Probably the best forecast we have ever had. We are GREEN here. We have been getting consistent small spring storms and plant growth is enormous. Usually we mow the Winifred field just before "company"...you... arrive. This year we have been damp so long the Ag Tractors couldn't take off to spray wheat until we mowed. We may have to mow again just before the flyin. I looked (didn't have time to land) at the strip on the River (Heller Bottom). I'll go in there tomorrow. There are patches of weeds on it and we can't mow because the road is out....but it certainly isn't too scary for a conventional geared aircraft. One thing I would advise..... Bring a long-sleeved shirt and some bug dope. We haven't seen many yet, but mosquitoes are a probability once we get through this week of 70+ degrees.

I have to go fetch my plane from Yakima and am scheduled to be back on Thursday 11th mid-day, or, I will be traveling with all of you coming from the West over the Rocks Friday early. Melissa is an old veteran of these flyins and we will have things set up prior to my departure for Yakima. If you get here early, she may put you to work.

This looks great. The country is beautiful, the forecast is great.... should be a good one. More PIREPS as time approaches. Ralph
    Ralph Rogers
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR