Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alaskan Bushwheel Tail Spring • 2 leaf setup • Recommended for 3200 & 3200B tailwheel

Default Alaskan Bushwheel Tail Spring • 2 leaf setup • Recommended for 3200 & 3200B tailwheel

I have the standard tail spring on my 2013 Carbon Cub with AOSS gear, 3200 Tailwheel and 8.50 tires. I see on new orders that it recommends the Alaska Bushwheel Tail Spring (2 leaf setup) for use with the 3200. Any feed back as to whether it provides any improvement or advantages?

Jon

CC #293

Default Re: Alaskan Bushwheel Tail Spring • 2 leaf setup • Recommended for 3200 & 3200B tailw

I made the switch about six months ago. I am glad I did. The ABW two leaf spring is stronger and provides better tail wheel vertical axis alignment improving steering and reducing wobble. The stock spring begins to sag over time. Since this degradation is gradual over time it is not something that jumps out at you. But if you look at the clearance between the rudder and the tail wheel you may be able to see the effect. Mike

Default Re: Alaskan Bushwheel Tail Spring • 2 leaf setup • Recommended for 3200 & 3200B tailw

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe Cub View Post
    I made the switch about six months ago. I am glad I did. The ABW two leaf spring is stronger and provides better tail wheel vertical axis alignment improving steering and reducing wobble. The stock spring begins to sag over time. Since this degradation is gradual over time it is not something that jumps out at you. But if you look at the clearance between the rudder and the tail wheel you may be able to see the effect. Mike
    What did the ABW two leaf spring cost and is there any different hardware to install that one? Thanks for the input!
    Jon

Jon, Sorry I do not recall. Adam at Cub Crafters can give you the details. It is a kit that includes some replacement parts for the mounting bracket, too. Overall stronger assembly. Mike

Jon,
    If you do find out more including cost and installation particulars would you kindly post them.
    Thanks, Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe Cub View Post
    Jon, Sorry I do not recall. Adam at Cub Crafters can give you the details. It is a kit that includes some replacement parts for the mounting bracket, too. Overall stronger assembly. Mike

I'm wondering if this is a new PA-18 type spring made by ABI? A couple of years ago I tried their Husky spring on my EX and the angle was wrong. I had to make a shim to get the bolt hole aligned with the hole in the fuselage. And then it made the tail a lot higher. That wasn't so bad but when the tail goes up the prop gets closer to the ground.

I used the Univair U12567-004 4-leaf spring that came with the kit for a little while. But it quickly lost its arch and I replaced it with the 3-leaf Pawnee spring from Univair and that has been excellent.

IMG_0200.jpg

Here is the Pawnee spring. I use a 7/16" grade 5 bolt to hold the tail wheel in place because the threaded section is longer. This allows me to use an AN 310-7 nut and then a threaded eyenut on top to use as a tiedown ring and also a place to grab with my mover.

IMG_1133.jpg
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    Jon,
    If you do find out more including cost and installation particulars would you kindly post them.
    Thanks, Glenn
    Glenn

Just talked to Adam in the store and the kit P/N is ABI-PA18-CC-K and the cost is $210.

They are waiting on some to come in next week so I am planning on ordering the kit.

Jon

Can someone please post a PIC of the two leaf spring assbly. "P/N is ABI-PA18-CC-K and the cost is $210"

My 2013 SN #283 seems fine, but I'm not sure what I have?

Steve
    XCub: CCX-2300-0011
    SPOT X TRACKING: https://maps.findmespot.com/s/09SL

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Y View Post
    Can someone please post a PIC of the two leaf spring assbly. "P/N is ABI-PA18-CC-K and the cost is $210"

My 2013 SN #283 seems fine, but I'm not sure what I have?

Steve
    Steve

My original has 3-leaf springs versus the heavier duty 2 leaf version (P/N is ABI-PA18-CC-K).

Jon

CC S/N 293
    IMG_9091.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by txcub View Post
    Steve

My original has 3-leaf springs versus the heavier duty 2 leaf version (P/N is ABI-PA18-CC-K).

Jon

CC S/N 293
    IMG_9091.jpg
    Ok? So Pictured is the THREE leaf Spring? Correct? I have to look, but mine too must be the three leaf.
    I'm looking for a pic of the newer TWO Leaf Spring..

Steve
    XCub: CCX-2300-0011
    SPOT X TRACKING: https://maps.findmespot.com/s/09SL