Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World VFR panel CGR30-p issues

Default World VFR panel CGR30-p issues

Hi, wondering if anyone else out there with a world vfr panel is having trouble with the fuel computer not working? Mine has never worked correctly since the plane was new a year ago and it has been back to cubcrafters twice to have this fixed and they where unable to get it working. Just wondering if this is a common issue with this EI CGR30P insteument? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Royce

Default Re: World VFR panel CGR30-p issues

Yep, yo también. Ralph
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

does that mean yours does not work either?

Yes: Mine does not work consistently, R
    Ralph Rogers
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyroyce View Post
    Hi, wondering if anyone else out there with a world vfr panel is having trouble with the fuel computer not working? Mine has never worked correctly since the plane was new a year ago and it has been back to cubcrafters twice to have this fixed and they where unable to get it working. Just wondering if this is a common issue with this EI CGR30P insteument? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Royce
    My CGR30-P has never communicated with the 796. So it has never displayed any fuel calculations that need GPS input. No fuel to destination, fuel remaining at destination, ect. I just asssumed the factory didn't wire it to exchange info (bummer). I guess I should inquire. To clarify, my fuel flow, & fuel used seem to work & display fine, just no fuel calculations that need GPS input.

Ralph , have u tried to comunicate with EI directly? I tried to get hold of some one there a while back and they would never return my calls. stans shop could not figure it out either. I am going to try Western avionics in Spokane in the spring and have gotten my waranty extended by Jeff Glab to address this issue.

Ralph , have u tried to comunicate with EI directly? I tried to get hold of some one there a while back and they would never return my calls. stans shop could not figure it out either. I am going to try Western avionics in Spokane in the spring and have gotten my waranty extended by Jeff Glab to address this issue.
    I haven't contacted EI Royce. Unlike most, I come from a cub back ground where if all the FAA minimum required VFR instruments worked (all 6 of them?), I was having a great day. I always assume, and usually correctly, that when one of these digital wonders doesn't work, it is my fault. I"m still in warranty until end of May... I'll go back to Stan's shop for annual and work through it then. If you get any insight...please let me know. Thanks for working on this.
    Ralph Rogers
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR

Thanks, if i havent figured it out by May then maybe if Stan gets yours to work we can share info. And yes its not like we NEED this info to enjoy our carbon cubs but we did pay for the fancy instruments that should work. At least some of them! Regards, Royce

I have encountered several problems with the CGR30P and am happy to share my experience. The problems that I have had are: (A) temperatures including OAT were all about 9 degrees F to low. (B)No data regarding range or endurance due to lack of a proper interface from the GPS. (C)Displayed GPH data fluctuates in 3/10 gallon jumps. I will discuss the issues one at a time.

The temperature issue was corrected by suspending the OAT probe in a glass of ice water, seeing what the system displayed and then recalibrating the CGR30P. I did this myself with real time assistance from Daniel Bennett at E.I. who coached me through the steps. My OAT is now reasonably accurate but I am not sure we made any change to CHTs or EATs. I decided that nine degrees is an acceptable error at their high temperatures but not when trying to measure air temperature.

Getting data from the GPS so that endurance and range data can be calculated on the CGR30P required a multistep solution which included having to send the CGR30P back to E.I. the steps were making sure that the CGR 30P was set up to receive data to the same port that CC wired the GPS to. By following the manual, you can set up the ports yourself. The CGR30P has to expect NEMA Data and the GPS 796 in my case had to be set up to send NEMA Data. This is something you can easily do yourself. The manual provides guidance but you will have to get CC to tell which ports they used on the CGR30P.

The final problem is that displayed GPH info jumped a lot rather than be steady while in cruise flight. With the help of E.I. I was able to change the sample period so that the displayed info would be reasonably steady but resolution is now in 3/10ths of a gallon rather than 1/10th of a gallon as one would expect. Said differently, If in cruise flight the display normally shows X.5GPH it might change over time to X.1 or X.8 but I would never see X.3,X.4,X.6 or X.7. The reason for this is some goofy math that they use and are not prepared to change. I do not believe that this problem exists for aircraft that are using significant amounts of fuel. It is only a problem for guys like me who fly around at low throttle settings trying to sip fuel.

I hope the above helps. While I found the people at Cub Crafters and E.I. to be helpful, I continue to think this is an issue that could use some engineering attention from both companies.

Hi Josh , thanks for your post.sounds like you have put a lot of work into getting something to work that should have been taken care of by Cubcrafters before the panel was released to customers. You hit it on the head... More engineering needed on both ends.My plane was in the ccers shop twice for months and they where unable to fix the fuel computer. Clearly they dont even understand how this instrument works. I am not as tech savvy as you sound and am very dissappointed in the service that i have recieved on this matter. I have asked and been granted a extension to my warranty to cover these items at a later date with Western Avionics in Spokane.
    I dont know how many of these panels have sold but i dont think very many judging by the few responses to this thread. Thank you for your helpful insight which i will pass onto Western Avionics and hopefully help them solve the issue.
    happy flying, Royce