Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaska bound.... on floats?

Default Alaska bound.... on floats?

Enjoying my new CC all the time since I picked it up this fall. Since it's cold in kentucky, I'm thinking of warmer times and was seeking advice from anyone that's done a trip from the lower 48 to alaska. Thinking of taking the month of august to fly to and from alaska with some sightseeing as well. Couple of questions though.

1) Floats or bushwheels? We have the new aerocets and will put them on in the spring. I love backcountry strip flying, so it's hard to give up tires, but I imagine floats are the way to go on this trip? Thoughts?

2) Coastal route... Do most people go up the coast, say, from seattle? Once you get back into US territory, how do you clear customs? I see no 'international' airport anywhere within cub distance, so i'm a bit lost how to do this.

3) FYI, I do not have extended fuel tanks, do I need to invest in a 10 gallon fuel bladder?

Default Re: Alaska bound.... on floats?

I lived in South East Alaska (Haines) for twenty years and commuted via Cubs to our Arizona home and back for the last seven years before moving to Walla Walla. Your trip is more consistently done and safer if you go the inland trench. For that I would recommend wheels.

The water route is more remote, more weather dependent and much harder to predict. That said, if all the elements line up it is very beautiful and floats would be advised.

Weather in South East Alaska is almost a month in advance of lower 48 weather and in August you could find a lot of fog and rain with low ceilings. Your results may vary but I am speaking from a twenty year average.

Fuel is not a problem if you take the inland trench. There are easy two hour legs between fuel. The trench offers a series of lakes and rivers that allow you to transit on the East side of the Coastal Range and the ceiling is generally much higher (5000 to the peaks of the trench) You can follow the rivers and lakes at less than 1500 feet.

I believe that Sydney and Bedwell Harbor in the Canadian Gulf Islands allow float clearance and Friday Harbor for clearing back to US but you should investigate this as I been on wheels mainly and things may have changed. You can clear back into Canada at Prince Rupert (floats) or if on wheels Prince George.

I really suggest wheels and this route.

On the way North via wheels I recommend Eckhart (1s1). There is a decent grass strip that allows clearance in and out of Canada. Next stop Golden (CYGE) then Valemount (CAH4) then Prince George (CYXS) then Smithers (CYYD) and then into Ketchikan (PAKT) to clear back into the USA.

There is a lot to discuss so if you wish send me a PM and I can talk you through.
    Last edited by cityrancher; 01-18-2015 at 06:51 PM.

Super Moderator

There have been a lot of CubCrafters owners that have talked about and been interested in making this flight. You might think about organizing a group trip, it could be really fun for all participants and, from a safety perspective, going as a well organized group could be better than going alone.

If a group did want to go, I'm sure the factory could serve as the place where everyone meets up and we could organize some sort of send off from Yakima. Typically when we ferry from Yakima the route is KYKM - CYKA (customs) - CYXS - CYXJ - CYYE - CYQH - CYXY - PAOR (customs) - PAGK - PALH. No problem doing that route on standard tanks in a Carbon Cub.

Also - Zane Jacobsen from BCP is producing a three part video series on this trip from a ferry flight last summer, he's finished and posted Part 1 here: https://www.backcountrypilot.org/cubcrafters-to-alaska and Parts 2 & 3 are in the works. A lot of good information.
    Brad Damm - Vice President of Sales and Marketing
    CubCrafters - Yakima, Washington
    Office: (509) 248-9491
    Cell: (509) 961-2313

If you do decide to do this with standard tanks, I highly suggest you consider one of the LewAero belly tanks. I really like mine, work well, look good, holds xs of 30 gal. and weigh only 15 lbs. Removable in ca. 30 minutes if you wish. See thread here... http://www.cubcraftersforums.com/sho...ght=belly+tank
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

Alaska bound I would like to find out if you chatted or talked with any of the Carbon Cub SS owners CCSS in Alaska my forum name is Alaskawild I have a lot time in Alaska but all my time is in Super Cubs and a few Top Cubs I have got some of the TAIL NUMBERS of CCSS OWNERS in Alaska I would like to chat with these owners myself so I am going to post the TAIL NUMBERS which I got from the FAA WEB SITE I hope these CCSS OWNERS IN ALASKA will reach out to you and myself to talk about how there CCSS are performing in Alaska I have been in the CCSS once I think if the CCSS OWNERS UP IN ALASKA would join the CUB CRAFTERS FORUM it will help answer some unknowns about the CCSS and how it is working out up in ALASKA I know that the CCSS does great in VALDEZ ALASKA but I hope everyone knows just HOW ALL THE PLANES THAT COMPETE IN THE CONTEST ARE SET UP WITH THE LOWEST GROSS POSSIBLE TO MY KNOWLEDGE TO IMPROVE PERFORMANCE it is knowing how the CCSS performs HEAVY UP IN ALASKA WHICH GIVES ANY BUSH PLANE A TEST THAT NO OTHER STATE CAN WHEN WE TALK ABOUT WEATHER !!!! I would be VERY GRATEFUL TO HEAR FROM THE CCSS OWNERS IN ALASKA I THINK THAT A CCSS WOULD FILL A SPECIAL GAP THAT WOULD WORK WELL IN ALASKA IF THE CCSS WAS SET UP JUST RIGTH FOR ALASKA HERE ARE THE TAIL NUMBERS I HAVE AND I HOPE THAT THE CCSS OWNERS IN ALASKA PITCH IN IT WILL HELP A GREAT DEAL FOR ALL CCSS OWNERS N25YZ, N331TR, N3491K, N367WC, N907CM, N907GM, N954RT, N98WZ AGAIN IT WOULD BE GREAT TO HERE FROM THE CCSS OWNERS IN ALASKA THANK YOU GOOD LUCK AND HAVE SAFE FLIGHT Alaska bound KEEP A EYE ON THE WEATHER !!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You might get more ideas over on www.supercub.org

Glenn

An Alaska trip with a group would be a blast!

David Morris
    Somerset, KY.
    #376 Coming Soon

davidmorris have you talked to any of the CCSS owners in Alaska to find out how there CCSS have handled Alaska WEATHER I am trying to get together with a couple of the tail numbers I left on the Alaska bound post because I have to fly my CCSS to Alaska also and a group is always safer than going alone

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskawild View Post
    davidmorris have you talked to any of the CCSS owners in Alaska to find out how there CCSS have handled Alaska WEATHER I am trying to get together with a couple of the tail numbers I left on the Alaska bound post because I have to fly my CCSS to Alaska also and a group is always safer than going alone

I have not talked to any Alaska based Cub owners. I was in Alaska earlier this year on a family vacation and realized just how much fun it would be to fly a CC there.

David Morris
    #376 Coming Soon

The last time I looked into this Canada did not recognize the light sport rule; thus a current medical and private pilot license was required. Has that changed?