Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ADS-B question

Default ADS-B question

OK, I need to know----
    The requirement for ADS-B in/out is on the way.
    there are several "solutions" now in the market.
    What is the factory going to offer or recommend?
    What have the rest of you considered or purchased?
    I have the panel with a Dynon and a Garmin G3X and I get TIS From the ES transponder and expensive XM weather.
    I also carry an iPad with Foreflight installed.
    thats ok but I feel the need to go to full ADS-B with all the free stuff.
    How?
    Bill
    Last edited by seastar; 10-03-2014 at 07:18 AM.

Default Re: ADS-B question

The order sheet currently offers the GDL 39R for the Exeuctive Glass touch panel and the GDL 39 3D for the World VFR panel. This gets you ADSB-in.

In order to be compliant you need a certified GPS source. None of the GPS systems offered for Carbon Cub meet those requirements. (GPSs that do comply are large, heavy, expensive units like the GTN 600 and 700 series, clearly overkill for CC11)

The expectation is that a stand alone blind box will be available similar to the GDL 39 but as a certified GPS source that can be easily added to the system to make it compliant.

Or the 2020 date/requirements will be adjusted.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    In order to be compliant you need a certified GPS source. None of the GPS systems offered for Carbon Cub meet those requirements. (GPSs that do comply are large, heavy, expensive units like the GTN 600 and 700 series, clearly overkill for CC11)
    I'm surprised by this answer. I've got a CC11 with the Exec Glass G3X Touch set for mid-Nov delivery. I understood I'd get ADS-B "in" via the GDL 39R, and ADS-B "out" via the GTX 23ES transponder, and so I'd be fully compliant when the plane leaves the factory. But the second part of that statement is incorrect? I'll have ADS-B "in" and "out" equipment, but it won't be "compliant" because there's not a "certified" GPS position source. Is that it?

If that's the case, I wonder if it's worth taking a look at the Garmin GPS 400W, which I understand Garmin is offering for a limited-time promotional price of about $4,000 (compared to $11,400 for a GTN 650). Or, sit tight and see what comes on the market between now 2020?

Thanks for the clarification.
    Bill Gillen
    Madison, WI

Cool Re: ADS-B question

Has anyone bought one of these?
    Has the factory looked at this?
    http://adsb.skyguardtwx.com
    I don't like the way it installs or the funky antennas but it's about the lowest price so far.
    Maybe I should come out of retirement and design a $500 box that does everything.

Bill
    Last edited by seastar; 10-03-2014 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bgillen View Post
    I'm surprised by this answer. I've got a CC11 with the Exec Glass G3X Touch set for mid-Nov delivery. I understood I'd get ADS-B "in" via the GDL 39R, and ADS-B "out" via the GTX 23ES transponder, and so I'd be fully compliant when the plane leaves the factory. But the second part of that statement is incorrect? I'll have ADS-B "in" and "out" equipment, but it won't be "compliant" because there's not a "certified" GPS position source. Is that it?

If that's the case, I wonder if it's worth taking a look at the Garmin GPS 400W, which I understand Garmin is offering for a limited-time promotional price of about $4,000 (compared to $11,400 for a GTN 650). Or, sit tight and see what comes on the market between now 2020?

Thanks for the clarification.
    I basically have the same setup as you do in my RV-7.......I'm just going to wait a little longer for some kind of a little add-on "certified" position source that I'm confident Garmin will come out with. There are just too many GA aircraft out there flying around that the entire airplane isn't worth much more a GTN 650 or 750. Somebody has to come up with an inexpensive solution to the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by seastar View Post
    I don't like the way it installs or the funky antennas but it's about the lowest price so far.
    Maybe I should come out of retirement and design a $500 box that does everything.

Bill
    I just got one last week. I've only flown with it a couple times and so far it seems to work. I'll post more as I get more flight time with it.

David Morris

Quote Originally Posted by Treetopflyer View Post
    I basically have the same setup as you do in my RV-7.......I'm just going to wait a little longer for some kind of a little add-on "certified" position source that I'm confident Garmin will come out with. There are just too many GA aircraft out there flying around that the entire airplane isn't worth much more a GTN 650 or 750. Somebody has to come up with an inexpensive solution to the problem.

I have the Dynon Skyview system in my Carbon Cub. It has ADS-B in and out. Unfortunately the GPS position source is not certified at present. Rumor has it that Dynon will come out with a certified GPS. I will just wait to see what develops in the next 6 years. Six years is an eon in avionics. In the mean time I will enjoy the full traffic and weather capabilities of ADS-B.

Quote Originally Posted by seastar View Post

Bill
    By all means, Bill, come out of retirement. To make it simple, all you need to do is design and certify a suitable GPS source. There are a plethora of all the other gadgets available-receivers, displays, extended squitter transponders.

Quote Originally Posted by carlconti View Post
    I have the Dynon Skyview system in my Carbon Cub. It has ADS-B in and out. Unfortunately the GPS position source is not certified at present. Rumor has it that Dynon will come out with a certified GPS. I will just wait to see what develops in the next 6 years. Six years is an eon in avionics. In the mean time I will enjoy the full traffic and weather capabilities of ADS-B.
    I think my situation is nearly the same as yours, except that I've got the Garmin G3X Touch -- just brought it home from the factory last week--and I'm still a bit confused about what I've got ADS-B-wise.

When you say you have "ADS-B in and out", does that mean you have the equipment for ADS-B out, but it happens not to be "compliant" because there is no "certified GPS", which is merely (ahem) a legal limitation not a functional one.

Also, do you actually get "full traffic and weather capabilities of ADS-B? I wonder because a friend is telling me that unless/until I have a certified GPS source I'll get only limited traffic service.

Thanks.
    Bill Gillen
    Madison, WI

Bill,
    If you have a G3X along with a mode S transponder and a GDL 39 you should be able to get full ADS-in and out....(for now). From what I understand, when the mandate becomes mandatory in 2020, you'll need the "certified" WASS GPS source and the non-certified source will "somehow" not work properly and will not be able to wake up the ground stations. (Just my 2 cents).