WELCOME BACK. Good to see you are building another one. Thanks for all the great posts before.,....it helped a bunch of us!

Quote Originally Posted by ceslaw View Post
On the Level.

A Carbon Cub EX2 is under way so I will start posting the occasional tip resurrecting my dormant build blog from the EX1. So much has been posted in the five years since my EX1 started flying that not much remains to be said, so I won’t say much. Just the finer details.

The first pages of the wing manual make clear the importance of locating the saw horses the correct distance apart and assuring they are level, both longitudinally and transversely. The real reason for this precision is to make sure the washout is correct. Here is a little tip for anal builders, like me.

Just before the drag wires are trammeled with the fish scale, use the digital level to confirm that the most inboard and most outboard drag tubes match before setting the aft rear corner on the one-inch block. They don’t have to be at zero degrees, just the same. A thin shim between the inboard spars and the saw horse may be needed. Then lift the outboard end and place it back on the one-inch block. You now have precisely one inch of wash out over the distance of 151 inches.

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

I needed to add thin cardboard shims to get the ends within a tenth of a degree on the left wing. The right wing was within that tolerance without any shims.

IMG_0125.jpg

When the set up was done the difference in angle between the inboard and outboard drag tubes was 1.9 degrees. Makes me wonder if the design calls for 2 degrees of washout from wing root to wing tip.