Quote Originally Posted by ceslaw View Post
Dave:

You questioned how I curved the tape at the base of the rudder. The tape that makes the bend where the top of the fuselage and base of the rudder meet was probably the most difficult. Here is how I did it.

1. About a 10” length of tape was used. The forward end was cut straight and the aft end was rounded.

2. The aft end of the fuselage tape was cut rounded and goes over the 10” tape, over the straight cut edge with about an inch of overlap. The aft rounded end of the 10” tape goes over the forward end of the tape at the base of the rudder, which was cut straight.

3. Gently fold the 10” tape in half to create a ‘soft’ centerline.

4. Using the small iron, shrink the center only of the tape along the centerline. This takes a bit of patience and care. Avoid shrinking the outside edges. This will cause the tape to curl, which is exactly what you need to make it conform to the curve. It may take several attempts to get a satisfactory result.

5. The width of the tape where the center is shrunk will be a bit less than typical, but no one will ever notice once it is done. The final ‘massaging’ may require a higher temperature to get a proper fit.

IMG_5373A.jpg

Once the final paint is on the imperfections will all but disappear.

DSC_0045A.jpg

Hope this helps
Thanks much! I could see in the dropbox CCK picture/cover file a picture that looked like there were 2 pieces and I just couldn't get that to work. Works great with the 3 pieces like you say. Thanks again. Another place a simple manual mention would have saved alot of time and cursing!