Thread: Chuck and Ryan's Build Tips

Default Re: Chuck and Ryan's Build Tips

Very nice job. When installing my brakes I wish I had put the brake lines on top of the calipers. This keeps the lines farther away from weeds, rock, and general stuff sticking out of the ground.

It an easy swap if you haven't added brake fluid. I plan on doing this soon, but will have the re-bleed the system.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    Very nice job. When installing my brakes I wish I had put the brake lines on top of the calipers. This keeps the lines farther away from weeds, rock, and general stuff sticking out of the ground.

It an easy swap if you haven't added brake fluid. I plan on doing this soon, but will have the re-bleed the system.
    Cc puts the line on the bottom. Never made sense to me. I put mine on top. I used braided line and aluminum fittings from summit racing at a fraction of the cost of STC’d ones from CC

Exactly, made to order with AN fittings. Summer project for me.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Connecting the line to the bottom rather than the top is something I considered and I know many others have done it.

I opted for the bottom location for several reasons. First, it is the recommended location per CC manual. Second, i preferred the routing of the SS braided line through the landing gear. Third, it could make bleeding easier, albeit that is a minor point. Finally, I have yet to meet someone whose brake lines were damaged because they were connected on the bottom rather than the top of the caliper. I suspect if that happened, a lot of other stuff would be torn up too.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, the next plane I build may indeed be connected on the top, since the practical differences between the two locations seem relatively slight and I like mixing things up.

Quote Originally Posted by lbell View Post
    Cc puts the line on the bottom. Never made sense to me.
    Brake line on top and bleed nipple on bottom of my FX-3 as fitted on production line and re-fitted by myself in "final assembly".

Good. Sounds like CC has updated their build manual.

My EX-2 and most likely Chucks build manuals installs the brake lines on the bottom.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

I have succumbed to the comments about top versus bottom brake line connections.

IMG_0745.jpg

I feel much better now.

Quote Originally Posted by ceslaw View Post
    I have succumbed to the comments about top versus bottom brake line connections.
    I feel much better now.
    Too late for me. I chose to cover the LDG, and the brake lines will be on the bottom.

But a little question for you guys. I have installed the ACME. But it seems to me that they are too compressed. Is that normal? It is true that I have not yet install the engine, but it seems to me nevertheless abnormal.

I think I saw a discussion about the part numbers. I’m afraid I’m not getting the right ones. But I don’t see that discussion any more.

71aa4a9f-3d0a-46bc-af50-0bddeb9c2daa.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by PBY Catalina View Post
    Too late for me. I chose to cover the LDG, and the brake lines will be on the bottom.

But a little question for you guys. I have installed the ACME. But it seems to me that they are too compressed. Is that normal? It is true that I have not yet install the engine, but it seems to me nevertheless abnormal.

I think I saw a discussion about the part numbers. I’m afraid I’m not getting the right ones. But I don’t see that discussion any more.

For what it's worth, when first installed my tires had a huge amount of camber and I thought there was an issue with the Acme Aeros. Added the engine and it improved noticeably. My expectation is that once the wings are on and fuel tanks filled the tires will stand vertically and the camber will disappear.

if you like, take some measurements and we can compare.

Mine came from Cub Crafters and I don't recall seeing any identifying information as to application, etc.

You might call the Acme Aero guys. Very helpful folks.

Yes what Chuck said! Get all the rest of the goodies installed and they will widen out. With the main shocks I believe there are just 2 models, the Black Ops and the Pro series for the CC. Even after installing them you have to roll it 10-20’ or so back and forth the first time for them to find their natural width as the tires grip when you raise or lower the fuse to install tires etc. and keep them from spreading out.

With the tailwheel shock (“Stinger”) there are 2 models set up for heavier and lighter tailwheel weights. i do have a forum post about that as well as how to adjust them. Most CCs use the one for the lighter model since our tails are usually light.

You will love them!

Quote Originally Posted by PBY Catalina View Post

Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..