Thread: Chuck and Ryan's Build Tips

Default Re: Chuck and Ryan's Build Tips

Thanks for the update Jake, this is very odd. Our engine arrived with the tubes connected. We have not done the SB yet, but closely inspect the connectors. No leaks at 140 hours, but it is on our agenda. Obviously, glue is not as good as clamps. A comparison between the two pipes should tell the story. It is unfortunate that you ran into this on the one yard line.

Quote Originally Posted by gderamel View Post
    Nice job!

No tail numbers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tail number just forward stabilizer/elevator per FAA option.

IMG_7763.jpg

I like being inconspicuous.

Quote Originally Posted by ceslaw View Post
    Tail number just forward stabilizer/elevator per FAA option.

IMG_7763.jpg

I like being inconspicuous.
    Same here!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterEedy View Post
    Will that size get thru Canada or do you need the 12". Not a proble we face with no land borders.

Ta. Peter E. Newcastle, NSW Australia
    I have the small numbers as well. I think you do need 12" numbers for Canada.

No need for 12" to cross the border into Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBranch View Post
    No need for 12" to cross the border into Canada.

Looks like you're correct. Chapter 4 of the Canadian Aircraft Registration Procedures states... For those of us in the Experimental category...

Gliders, amateur-built aircraft and ultra-light aeroplanes

NOTE: For gliders, amateur-built aircraft and ultra-light aeroplanes, not displaying marks on the bottom surface, that have a structure that will not accommodate the 30 cm size marks on the side, then the marks shall be as high as possible but never less than 7.5 cm (3 inches) (see Standard 222.01(2)(o)).

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviati...4-ident-92.htm

Tools

Two clips need to be placed on the barrel connectors for the elevator through a 3” inspection port at the butt end of the plane. Really? I spent an hour or two struggling to accomplish the task until I asked “what would a proctologist do.” Ah, yes. Use the right tool and it took just a few minutes. And I now have a new found respect for proctologists.

DSC_0928.jpg

There are two grease fittings for the stabilizer that are difficult to access with a straight grease fitting. On a visit to the local NAPA store I discovered this 90 degree fitting that solved the problem. Squirting in the Aero Shell 22 grease until a bit oozed from the ends of the tube was a breeze with this fitting.

DSC_0937.jpg

Putting on the hours.

Based on the number of bugs attached to the leading surfaces, I have flow way more than forty hours. Based on the log, I have another twenty hours to go.

With a few hours behind, I have noticed some things. I find myself using the PTT switch on the throttle knob much more than on the stick. Just seems more natural. The door pocket is so handy for the cell phone and check list. The rear side windows vibrate violently even when just taxiing with the windows and door open, so we are going to work out a solution shortly.

I am learning much on these initial flights. Like careful leaning reduced the fuel consumption from 6 to 5 GPH, cruising at 90 mph, 2000 RPM, 3500 feet. That Lean Assist is pretty slick.

Climbing out at Vy (71 mph) pins the rate of climb scale at 2000 feet per minute. All you see is blue sky and clouds. One is at pattern altitude long before reaching the end of the runway. Amazing.

IMG_8579.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ceslaw View Post
    Putting on the hours.
    The rear side windows vibrate violently even when just taxiing with the windows and door open, so we are going to work out a solution shortly.
    We have also noticed quite a bit of horizontal stabilizer vibration at full power below 90 mph. We were thinking we should get the prop balanced, but it disappears when the power is reduced or speed is increased, possibly just prop wash. This may have been the issue that caused the service bulletin, requiring replacement of the LSA's tail wires and a reason to keep the windows closed on takeoff. We found vibration varies with power settings, ours is very smooth below 2100 RPM. The silicone bumps on wing root fairings are important, they help to keep the windows from being scratched when they are open.

A fun thing to do is to fly with the minimum power to stay level, somewhere about 45-50 MPH and 15 to 16 hundred RPM, and one notch of flap, the fuel flow is ridiculously low. Great for watching things on the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by DRL View Post
    The silicone bumps on wing root fairings are important, they help to keep the windows from being scratched when they are open.
    I must have missed that class. What about those silicone bumps? Don't recall seeing that anywhere.

Have not noticed any vibration in horizontal tail surfaces. But I have noticed that the engine seems to have "sweet spots" where it seems happier with less vibration.

chuck