Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAA changing the rules (again)?

Default FAA changing the rules For Converted E-LSAs?

Not to sound like Chicken Little, and taking the source into account, has anyone else seen this?

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?d...e-2bfc92cc7d49

There's a link at the bottom of the article that will take you to the draft document. The page on interest is in Annex C... page C-2 I think it was where I saw it.
    Last edited by Merlinspop; 03-24-2014 at 12:09 PM.

For those without time to read the article (or the draft FAA document), the document in question dictates the Operational Limitations of aircraft.
    The questionable line states:
    Prohibit the carriage of passengers, flight over densely populated areas, and night or instrument flight rules (IFR) operations in the following:
    (1) Experimental LSA aircraft that formerly held a special LSA airworthiness certificate;
    Last edited by Merlinspop; 03-24-2014 at 12:09 PM.

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

Default Re: FAA changing the rules For Converted E-LSAs?

Yep, I saw that.

Makes you wonder if some of these FAA guys don't leave their cubicles and have no windows through which to view the world.

JM
    John Moreland
    SWT Aviation
    CubCrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Central Florida

Wow, that would pretty well kill the Carbon Cub. Hope we have plenty of time to protest a rule change like this.
    Chuck Hull
    L70 Agua Dulce, CA

The EAA is all over this. I understand that the FAA is backing away. CubCrafters has information on this, and should post.

We are indeed monitoring this and have been in touch with various legislators and of course the EAA. It appears at this point that phrase we are concerned about was not intended to read that way and will be clarified, but we haven't seen an amended draft yet.
    Randy Lervold

Where in the process is this change...public comment, draft proposal, scoping? Surely the FAA, like every other regulatory body in the US Government, has some sort of procedures policy or hopefully an Act. If not, we (Including EAA) need to suggest that congress provide them one. Far too many "surprises" from them lately. CubCrafters, you have a really big dog in this fight! I assume you will keep us posted on what we can do if/when there is a comment period. R
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

The link to the draft and to where comments may be sent is on the FAA website:
    http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/draft_docs/orders/
    The specific section of concern is Appendix C, paragraph 5(c)(1)
    Please send your comments

Has anybody asked the FAA why they were lumping all ELSA aircraft into a category with airplanes that cannot fly below 250kts under 10,000 ft, that require ejection or bailout in the event of an engine failure, and rocket or electrically powered aircraft?

That has to be a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    We are indeed monitoring this and have been in touch with various legislators and of course the EAA. It appears at this point that phrase we are concerned about was not intended to read that way and will be clarified, but we haven't seen an amended draft yet.
    Randy,

Checking in to see if CubCrafters has had any further dialogue with the FAA on this proposed change. Obviously all of us in the Sport/Carbon Cub ELSA community are anxious to learn where this is headed in the long run.

B/R,
    Chris Nugent
    CC #273