Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ELT Placement

Default Re: ELT Placement

Quote Originally Posted by jmorrical View Post

In simple terms I did use pin 41 on my G3X connector and a solder sleeve to ground the shielded there.

Don't forget that the GDU 465 must be configured to give the required data format on RS-232 port 5. I don't know what the default is but I assume your ELT will want NMEA 183 at 4800 Baud (check ELT specification).

I just watched the G3X installation video Mitch did on an EX3. Near the end he talked about installing the Artex 345 ELT. The two wire switch was mounted vertically and aft of the light fixture on the right header. He said he wasn't sure about clearance and might have to rotate it horizontally after he put in a new header. I want to avoid that.

Here is what I saw. It looks like the flap arm with the threaded fitting on this EX3 is redesigned and much longer then my EX1. Don't know how it came out. Interesting.

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 10.14.08 PM.jpg
    Last edited by jmorrical; 01-15-2021 at 09:21 PM.
    Jim Morrical

The question still remains from a previous post - how to wire the shield and ground at the ARTEX connector. From the drawing it looks like you have two wires that go to pin 7 (a ground wire and the shield wire). Do you join these two wires before it goes into the connector?

Quote Originally Posted by stautz View Post
    The question still remains from a previous post - how to wire the shield and ground at the ARTEX connector. From the drawing it looks like you have two wires that go to pin 7 (a ground wire and the shield wire). Do you join these two wires before it goes into the connector?
    Depends on the size of the wires and the size of the connector pin. It will make no difference whether the splice is at the pin or a few inches away from it. If the pin won't easily accept two wires then the easiest way may be to splice both the shield pigtail and the ground wire to the shield with a solder sleeve and then take the pigtail to pin 7.
    Last edited by Andy; 01-19-2021 at 08:41 PM.

Still waiting to see if there is room for the switch just aft of the light on right header. If you know, please respond.

I've been hoping someone would give their experience about placing the two wire switch for the Artex 345, but since nobody has I’m moving on. I have decided to mount my two wire switch on the right header just aft of the cockpit light switch. My planned cut out is shown in the first photo.

I am building an EX1 not an EX2/3 so there may be differences I don't know. I have wondered about clearance from the compression tube at the wing root and flap push rod when wings are installed. What convinced me this right header location would work was comparing the two wire switch with the extended bus bar on the left wing. Seems about the same position and depth so I’m betting it’s OK.

IMG_3135.jpg

Here's how it looks installed.

IMG_3138.jpg

IMG_3140.jpg
    Last edited by jmorrical; 01-22-2021 at 09:49 PM.
    Jim Morrical

I don’t have a light but that’s just about where I put mine. That’s low enough so it is out of the way of the flap actuator.

hopefully you never need it.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

I have my ARTEX 345 wired in as shown in the previous posts. When doing the self test, I am getting 5 LED flashes which is missing GPS data.
    How can I tell what GPS data format is programmed into the ELT?

Steve,
    This is from earlier in this thread.Hope this helps.
    David

• 05-03-2020, 10:04 PM
      Tobi

Junior MemberJoin DateSep 2016LocationSan Diego, Cleveland AvenuePosts16

Re: ELT Placement

Just checked out my ELT 345 installation. Using RS232 Tx Pin 40 of the G3X. NMEA signal. The ELT is not reading the position data correct. Failure comes up on ELT during self test with 5 times led flashing.
      I got from below forum that the ELT needs to be programmed a certain way to read the NMEA correct.
      https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/f...s-input.32594/

Is this true?
      Any experience with a programmer?

• 05-04-2020, 09:01 AM
      David H

Senior MemberJoin DateAug 2012LocationRochester, MichiganPosts183

Re: ELT Placement

Tobi,

I had the same error initially. I purchased my Atrex from Aircraft Spruce and it came programmed incorrectly for the G3X. I had to send it back to Artex for reprograming.

David

I might not understand you situation, but Artex 345 ELT does not have integrated GPS data. You have to get it from somewhere. I have been surprised to learn the ELT I bought needs to be reprogrammed to NMEA 0183 baud rate 4800. I've even talked to one of the avionics shops that Artex points to and they couldn't talk specifics of my ARTEX saying they didn't really know. They just simply said 'We could do that" for $200. I'm frustrated that I was ignorant and wasn't informed about my purchase and installation before I bought it.

I’m no wiring expert, but do you have a wire from D-Sub connector pin 9 at the Artex 345 wired to the G3X connector? That’s a place GPS data is available. I understand you would assign that in preliminary setup of the G3X. I have not got that far yet so it is a mystery to me...that’s just what I’ve been told.

An EAA friend who did all his own wiring of 3 G3Xs in his RV10 helped me wire for GPS data. This is what he said would work. I have not tested it yet however. This photo is from my CubCrafters Garmin G3X manual page 4 of 5. It shows penciled in the GDU 465 P4602 connector where I used the free RS-232 tx 5 or pin 41 for that data.

D8A1128D-86D8-4FEF-A55A-3E5DB1CEC9FE.jpg
    Last edited by jmorrical; 02-03-2021 at 12:37 PM.
    Jim Morrical