Thread: Wing Washout

Default Wing Washout

Im curious to what you guys are setting your washout at or difference in degrees from the butt rib to the outer aileron bay rib? Especially in the kit built exp. what they want them set at?

Default Re: Wing Washout

The CC11 wing rigging procedure can be found in the AMM at cubcrafters.com under the support tab.

http://www.cubcrafters.com/pdfs/ccss/ssc10000amm.pdf

Look on 6.3.4 page 7. I can't remember what the degrees are. You use a 3/8" block on one end of a 30" level on the outer aileron bay rib and the air frame is leveled laterally and longitudinally.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Pete,
    The specified dihedral is .75 degrees and the washout is 1.5 degrees.
    With respect can you tell me how a 3' stick with a 3/8" lump on one end can achieve a .75 degrees setting in one plane ( dihedral) and when turned 90 degrees achieve 1.5 degree in that plane (washout)
    I am of the opinion a digital level is the only way to achieve these wing settings, which it can within .01 degrees.

When the fuselage is level (use the lower door frame or the lower longeron between the gear fittings longitudely and the front carrythrough spar laterly) the IB end of the wing is not quite level longitudenly. This adds to the block used on the level at the wing tip to give you the required washout.

With practice one can rig planes with consistancy to where usually you can get them to fly hands off, feet on the floor wings level and ball in the center on the first flight, or at worst needing only a 1/2 turn on one rear strut.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Thanks Pete, I stand corrected. I had not realized the inboard end of the wing was slightly (3/8") lower at the rear when the fuselage is in the level flight position, otherwise the lump on the 30" stick would have to be 3/4" high for washout setting.
    I have achieved the feet on floor, ball in centre flight but only after decreasing the washout 1/2 a turn on the LH wing to correct a slight low wing tendency.
    Regards Bruce