Thread: Placemnet of 3" tail numbers

Default Placement of 3" tail numbers

I am replacing the 12" tail numbers on my re-certified E-LSA Sport Cub. The only requirement I can find says the 3" numbers can be on the vertical tail (written horizontally in my case).

Anyone know if they have to be on the vertical stabilizer? Can they be on the rudder?
    Thanks, Barry
    Last edited by BarryP; 02-09-2014 at 08:53 AM. Reason: spelling error

Default Re: Placement of 3" tail numbers

Barry
    I had the same question. Mine is a new E-LSA Carbon Cub with 3" vertical numbers on the rudder. Here's what I found......
    Jon

Advisory Circular 45-2D in Table 2 shows Experimental Aircraft including light sport to have 3" numbers horizontally on both sides of the vertical tail surface but has an exception in Table 3. In Table 3 it states for light sport "If you display N-numbers vertically, follow the requirements of FAR 45.25(b)(1),location of marks on fixed wing aircraft" .......now FAR 45.25(b)(1) says "(1) If displayed on the vertical tail surfaces, horizontally on both surfaces, horizontally on both surfaces of a single vertical tail or on the outer surfaces of a multivertical tail. However, on aircraft on which marks at least 3 inches high may be displayed in accordance with §45.29(b)(1), the marks may be displayed vertically on the vertical tail surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryP View Post
    I am replacing the 12" tail numbers on my re-certified E-LSA Sport Cub. The only requirement I can find says the 3" numbers can be on the vertical tail (written horizontally in my case).

Anyone know if they have to be on the vertical stabilizer? Can they be on the rudder?
    Thanks, Barry

I have them on the rudder on 3 CCubs the FAA told me they must be horizontal not vertical.
    EV

Quote Originally Posted by EVRoosevelt View Post
    I have them on the rudder on 3 CCubs the FAA told me they must be horizontal not vertical.
    EV
    Thanks Guys. I guess I will stick them on the rudder.
    Cheers!

Here are the two FAR references. Unless I am misinterpreting it or there is some other reference, it looks like vertically on the tail on an E-LSA is OK. There are lots of aircraft with it vertically including CC's from the factory.

EV, did he have some other reason for only displaying horizontal?

Jon

FAR §45.25 Location of marks on fixed-wing aircraft.

(a) The operator of a fixed-wing aircraft must display the required marks on either the vertical tail surfaces or the sides of the fuselage, except as provided in §45.29(f).
    (b) The marks required by paragraph (a) of this section must be displayed as follows:
    (1) If displayed on the vertical tail surfaces, horizontally on both surfaces, horizontally on both surfaces of a single vertical tail or on the outer surfaces of a multivertical tail. However, on aircraft on which marks at least 3 inches high may be displayed in accordance with §45.29(b)(1), the marks may be displayed vertically on the vertical tail surfaces.

FAR §45.29 Size of marks.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (f) of this section, each operator of an aircraft must display marks on the aircraft meeting the size requirements of this section.
    (b) Height. Except as provided in paragraph (h) of this part, the nationality and registration marks must be of equal height and on—
    (1) Fixed-wing aircraft, must be at least 12 inches high, except that:
    (i) An aircraft displaying marks at least 2 inches high before November 1, 1981 and an aircraft manufactured after November 2, 1981, but before January 1, 1983, may display those marks until the aircraft is repainted or the marks are repainted, restored, or changed;
    (ii) Marks at least 3 inches high may be displayed on a glider;
    (iii) Marks at least 3 inches high may be displayed on an aircraft for which the FAA has issued an experimental certificate under §21.191 (d), §21.191 (g), or §21.191 (i) of this chapter to operate as an exhibition aircraft, an amateur-built aircraft, or a light-sport aircraft when the maximum cruising speed of the aircraft does not exceed 180 knots CAS; and

Jon when he was doing an airworthiness insp. on my exp. cub I had the numbers vertical he said I had to change them, might just have been his reading of the reg.