Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CubCrafter's 2014 Stroker CC340 Engine Weight

Default CubCrafter's 2014 Stroker CC340 Engine Weight

I am looking for the total engine weight of the CC340 as installed on the 2014 Carbon Cub. Looking for the weight of the fully provisioned engine, without plenum, with and without exhaust attached just as it is hung on the engine mounts.

The web site says that the 2014 CC340 weights "less than 250lbs" but it is not clear what is on the engine at that weight.

Reason for the question is that I have been following the progress of Kevin Eldridge at Advanced Component Engineering who is taking the weight out of the Lycoming O360. He is claiming around around 262 lbs for his 360 with the opportunity to go to 250 lbs. Further his new cylinder design is reported for run 20% cooler while developing 210 hp.

Kevin maintains an active FaceBook page here.

A 210 hp E-LSA Carbon Cub?
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Default Re: CubCrafter's 2014 Stroker CC340 Engine Weight

Here is an rendering of the final engine Kevin is working on. Kevin thinks he can eventually deliver an O360 engine, 210hp, fuel injected, auto gas that will weigh very close to the Stroker 340. That will be quite a feat. Going to visit and learn more. He is currently flight testing a variant of the engine on a Varieze here in San Luis Obispo. He updates his test flights frequently on FaceBook. Lots of carbon fiber there for a Carbon Cub.

I would want one if I knew adequate cooling could be achieved. Thirty more horse power will generate a significant need for more cooling. I would want to know the CC cowl could handle it. Sure would be fun. Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe Cub View Post
    I would want one if I knew adequate cooling could be achieved. Thirty more horse power will generate a significant need for more cooling. I would want to know the CC cowl could handle it. Sure would be fun. Mike
    It would likely need a new cowl. O360 is wider by a couple of inches. If you look closely at the cylinders and rocker covers he has done a lot in the design to get extra cooling for the cylinders. Fuel injection would be a big plus if this engine could work in the CC.

The prototype Carbon Cub, the very first one, black and silver, orange stripe, with the yellow and orange flames, had an O-360 on it. Always ran very hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Hammond View Post
    The prototype Carbon Cub, the very first one, black and silver, orange stripe, with the yellow and orange flames, had an O-360 on it. Always ran very hot.
    All I know about this project is what I see and read on FaceBook. Kevin is making daily flights in the Varieze test bed and posting screen shots of the MFD. Nice low CHT's so far. His oil temperatures are high in these latest posts, don't know what that is about.

Apparently he is planning on having the "conforming" engine at Oshkosh next year with all the carbon fiber parts. Here is a picture of Kevin building up the test engine he is flying now. Note unusual robust cylinder head fin design. I posted a link to Kevin's FaceBook page in the lead post of this thread.

Last edited by turbopilot; 12-22-2013 at 09:20 PM.

Oh not saying its good or bad either way...just what was experienced. I think the cowling simply needed more work to effectively evacuate the hot air from the bigger engine. That airplane was a real hoss. We started out swinging a 90" Mac... I think? It had a Hell of a lot of pull. I could stand it on its tail in a takeoff climb a lot more aggressively than I do the production versions.
    Last edited by Clay Hammond; 12-22-2013 at 11:07 PM.

Here is a link to Advanced Component Engineering FaceBook page that I did not include in my original post. Lots of images of the prototype engine build up. Neat project, hope Kevin is successful.
    Last edited by turbopilot; 12-23-2013 at 08:20 AM.

The heat question aside, I wonder how critical the overall CC design is relative to power. I imagine there are other design elements that would need strengthening to accommodate the power increase. I wish it were as simple as just hanging on a new motor and cooling it. Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe Cub View Post
    The heat question aside, I wonder how critical the overall CC design is relative to power. I imagine there are other design elements that would need strengthening to accommodate the power increase. I wish it were as simple as just hanging on a new motor and cooling it. Mike
    Nothing is simple when you start fooling with the power plant on an airplane. "If" the O360 could be lightened enough to work in the CC, I would be happy to see the engine derated to 180 hp. The opportunity for better cooling (with new cylinder head design), better fuel efficiency with fuel injection and smoother operation would be more than enough reason to take a look. I guess you can never have enough horsepower. For me 180 hp in the CC is enough.