Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cubs & Indians

Default Cubs & Indians

We recently hosted the folks from Motorcyclist Magazine and Indian Motorcycles for a day of flying and riding. They produced a video focused on two iconic machines, the Cub aircraft and Indian motorcycle... both classics, both thoroughly modern. Enjoy!

Default Re: Cubs & Indians

What a great comparison.
    Alex Bell

Quote Originally Posted by John Whitish View Post
    We recently hosted the folks from Motorcyclist Magazine and Indian Motorcycles for a day of flying and riding. They produced a video focused on two iconic machines, the Cub aircraft and Indian motorcycle... both classics, both thoroughly modern. Enjoy!

Nice professional video. John, can you elaborate on the panel I saw in the Red Carbon Cub SS ?
    Is this a new version of the Executive Panel ?

Is this a new version of the Executive Panel ?
    No, that particular shot was taken in N56XC, a Carbon Cub EX with a Dynon 10" SkyView panel (the yellow/silver airplane shown in formation). The airplane Marc Cook is flying, N219CC, has an Executive Glass panel. They took a bit of contextual license with that cockpit shot.

Wanted to share a couple pics of the originals in action and repose. The Pirep video hits the nail on the head, Carbon Cub and new Indian are most certainly carrying the torch of history while making a modern product for modern times. I've been saying since SPORT CUB #1 rolled out that this is not a copy folks...its an evolution. Great video!

1390629_10201007240288110_1923838287_n.jpg

1069334_10201007239888100_1263190447_n.jpg
    Last edited by Clay Hammond; 10-25-2013 at 07:59 PM. Reason: grammar

Clay, that looks like you riding the old Indian, true?
    Randy Lervold

'Tis true Randy. This 1935 Indian 4 is from the collection at The Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome in Rhinebeck, NY. Henderson four cylinder engine of 78ci with suicide clutch/shifter on three gears. It is operated regularly during the season as a part of the ground component for the weekly airshows at the museum. Absolute blast to ride! http://oldrhinebeck.org/ORA/

The Cub is "Hazel Mae", our family farm cub purchased several years ago thru a cousin from a farmer in Indiana who was getting up in years. She's a 1941 model with Goodyear 25x11x4's, the original blimp tires. Power is a stroked and bored Super-85 from Don's Dream Machines. Makes her a great performer. My brother Nate at the controls in the pic.

Truth be told, we pulled the two out for some pictures after we saw the Pirep video. Thought it would be neat for folks to see the originals together also. Nate and I had been spending the summer up at Old Rhinebeck, flying rides and performing in the airshows, and were winding down on our last weekend when we got them both out for one last fling.
    Last edited by Clay Hammond; 10-25-2013 at 08:08 PM.

Clay,

My family and I spent many a summer day at Old Rhinebeck. We used to live in Poughkeepsie.

Is the clutch on the Indian 4 a true suicide clutch or just a standard Indian foot clutch. There is a difference.

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Hammond View Post
    'Tis true Randy. This 1935 Indian 4 is from the collection at The Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome in Rhinebeck, NY. Henderson four cylinder engine of 78ci with suicide clutch/shifter on three gears. It is operated regularly during the season as a part of the ground component for the weekly airshows at the museum. Absolute blast to ride! http://oldrhinebeck.org/ORA/

The Cub is "Hazel Mae", our family farm cub purchased several years ago thru a cousin from a farmer in Indiana who was getting up in years. She's a 1941 model with Goodyear 25x11x4's, the original blimp tires. Power is a stroked and bored Super-85 from Don's Dream Machines. Makes her a great performer. My brother Nate at the controls in the pic.

Truth be told, we pulled the two out for some pictures after we saw the Pirep video. Thought it would be neat for folks to see the originals together also. Nate and I had been spending the summer up at Old Rhinebeck, flying rides and performing in the airshows, and were winding down on our last weekend when we got them both out for one last fling.

Hi Carl,

We don't know each other but have have been in the same circles for many years it would seem! I grew up at ORA, my dad was chief pilot and mech there from '78 to '88. If you were there during that time you might very well have seen me running around as an Aerodrome Kid. I worked for Signature Combs Aircraft Sales and then Southeast Piper starting in 2002 up through 2008 in their northern field offices, pretty sure during that time you bought a plane from Dave and Rick and the whole Vero crew? Been with CubCrafters off and on since 2006 also. Great airplanes...glad you bought one!

Its a suicide clutch/shifter as I know them, in that its a foot operated clutch with a hand operated shifter on right side of the tank...you have to remove your hand from the handle bar to affect a gear shift.

Yours is an illustrious flying career. To me, the pinnacle is performing in the ORA show. I've run across your name many times, but as you observed, we've never met. You are right, I bought a Meridian from Dave and Rick. I used it to commute FL to CA for several years. Great airplane for that mission, but the Carbon Cub is way more fun to fly.

Now on Indians and suicide clutches. I have a '48 Chief(cub yellow). Never have ridden the Indian 4. On the Chief The clutch is left foot operated, but it will stay in the actuated or not actuated position. Some not so bright riders, thinking it should work like a car clutch, modified it so that clutch in required constant foot pressure. Therefore you either had to roll to a stop in gear with left foot occupied or get the bike into neutral before stopping. It could get exciting. That is a true suicide clutch. One can only hope that those who made this change did so before they passed their genes on.

Over time many people referred to any foot clutch as a suicide clutch.

best regards,
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Hammond View Post
    Hi Carl,

We don't know each other but have have been in the same circles for many years it would seem! I grew up at ORA, my dad was chief pilot and mech there from '78 to '88. If you were there during that time you might very well have seen me running around as an Aerodrome Kid. I worked for Signature Combs Aircraft Sales and then Southeast Piper starting in 2002 up through 2008 in their northern field offices, pretty sure during that time you bought a plane from Dave and Rick and the whole Vero crew? Been with CubCrafters off and on since 2006 also. Great airplanes...glad you bought one!

Its a suicide clutch/shifter as I know them, in that its a foot operated clutch with a hand operated shifter on right side of the tank...you have to remove your hand from the handle bar to affect a gear shift.