Thread: Flour Sack Bombing in a CC Sport Cub S2

Default Flour Sack Bombing in a CC Sport Cub S2

Our local EAA Chapter held a flour sack bombing contest in conjunction with a Young Eagle event.
    I used 2 Nflightcam Contour(now defunct) video cameras mounted on my Sport Cub and a 3rd video camera mounted on a tripod near the target. I even used some footage from my wife's iphone (I reminded her to hold the iphone horizontal next time). This was my first time using multiple cameras and editing with Final Cut Pro. Very amateurish but fun to do. Of course we won the competition, scoring the best 2 drops. It was almost cheating in the S2!

Last edited by jalexbell; 10-02-2013 at 03:29 AM.
    Alex Bell

Default Re: Flour Sack Bombing in a CC Sport Cub S2

Cool Alex, good job - the flying and the video.

I've been doing multi camera videos for a while as well - makes for much more watchable video.
    Chuck Hull
    L70 Agua Dulce, CA

Great video! Any other tips you'd like to share?

Carl

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

Ha! What a hoot. Where did you find the music? Quite appropriate.

As an old fighter pilot, all your passes at least bracketed the target. Good job.

Did the booby prize go to the guy (or gal) who hit the road?

JM

John,the music is a blast from the past. I originally placed the video on my YouTube page. However YouTube promptly blocked my video for violating "International Copyright Laws". It was not my intention to create an international incident over a small domestic bombing. I with drew the video and placed it on my Vimeo page. I believe the same pilot that dropped on one the road was the one that did the low level pass. He also has 3 bombardiers on board dropping 4 sacks with each pass, Cherokee cluster bombing.
    Hope to see you at the Thomasville fly-in next weekend.
    Last edited by jalexbell; 10-07-2013 at 02:56 AM.
    Alex Bell

Quote Originally Posted by carlconti View Post
    Great video! Any other tips you'd like to share?

Carl
    Carl,
    I'm still learning. The CC-X offers many different camera placement options. With the S-2 I don't seem to have the vibration problems that the Carbon Cub has so my camera mount can be very simple.
    I like my Nflightcam Contour camera though the wide angle lens distorts the view and is only really useful with the in cockpit placements. I have purchased several Contour cams on ebay at bargain prices since Contour has gone out of business. I realize there is a risk buying an orphaned product but rumor has it that another company is looking to buy the assets of Contour and will resume production and support. NFlight has jumped to the iphone and GoPro.
    I see that Garmin has introduced their own video action camera and I look forward to see it being used in an aviation application.
    Alex Bell