Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: GoPro camera mounting techniques

Default Re: The Joy of the Carbon Cub

GREAT video!! Thanks for sharing. And, ditto on mount details.

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

Some of the best I've seen. PLEASE detail that mount with photos. I am sick of jello. Ralph
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

The prototyping process is not always pretty. I have gone through multiple generations of wing mounts to arrive at this point.

Important concepts to get to this point. The mount must be far enough forward to avoid getting the prop and wing leading edge in view with 127 degree field of view in the GoPro.

The mount has to be as rigid as possible. This mean the mount cannot have any secondary vibration induced by the airframe vibration. This proved to be the biggest problem. I found that certain engine RPM's would induce secondary vibrations in the camera mount when it was attached at a single point

And finally the camera must be isolated from direct vibration transmitted through the airframe.

I have fashioned a mount attached to the right tie down mount. The mount is currently stabilized by a brace and 3 safety wires. And finally the camera is isolated from the mount using Sorbothane.

This mount is not pretty but it seems to work. I will refine the mount in future versions.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Quote Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
    The prototyping process is not always pretty.
    Really nice work Bob. Congratulations.

Chuck
    Chuck Hull
    L70 Agua Dulce, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    Really nice work Bob. Congratulations.

Chuck
    Thanks Chuck, once I finalize the design I would like to fabricate a combination camera mount and tie down hook for that location.

Pete, any chance Cubcrafters might consider fabricating such a device that could be offered as an option?

Pete, any chance Cubcrafters might consider fabricating such a device that could be offered as an option?
    That's a great idea. It would take the sweat out of a ramp check in a non-experimental airplane.
    Jeff Jacobs
    Vancouver WA / KVUO
    C-172N-180

Marketing (Jon Bliss) and I have been talking about that. Making a small kit for several camera locations would be easy for the E-LSA airplanes. I will run it by engineering, see what it would take to get it done so that S-LSAs can use them.

We are playing with several things but it is tough to find a good stable mount that gets solid video consistently, especially at higher power settings.

I am very interested in photos of and looking at any mounts that customers have had good luck with.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    Marketing (Jon Bliss) and I have been talking about that. Making a small kit for several camera locations would be easy for the E-LSA airplanes. I will run it by engineering, see what it would take to get it done so that S-LSAs can use them.

We are playing with several things but it is tough to find a good stable mount that gets solid video consistently, especially at higher power settings.

I am very interested in photos of and looking at any mounts that customers have had good luck with.
    Pete, I have been restricting my efforts to mounts which simply attach to existing structure. If a kit is considered by CubCrafters without this constraint more possibilities can be considered.

A camera pod built into the leading edge of the outboard wing (similar to landing light) would seem to be a good solution. Another solution would be a camera pod attached to the wing tip assuming that area is not subject to significant resonant vibration.

So long as the camera is isolated from a direct connection to the airframe, my experience is that resonant vibration in the mount is a much bigger problem than direct vibration induced in the airframe.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post

My next version is currently in flight tests. This mount uses the attach point for the stall warning switch. It is far enough out on the wing so that the prop is not visible when using the 170 degree FOV option on the GoPro 3. So far it is working great. No jello or vibration at any RPM setting. Of course it is carbon fiber.

Last edited by turbopilot; 06-25-2013 at 09:35 PM.

All as posted before, if you want an easy $100 solution ( a bit expensive but it simply works) and only a small jello at one rpm setting which you can see and avoid, order this mount from Nflight and the mounting spud screws right onto many end bolts of our Carbon Cubs so you can position the mounts ( I have 3) in many places and then just unclamp the GO PRO camera and quickly and easily move it to another location. Dont get me wrong here as sure do love all the engineering and thought being put into this but until then here is a solution and I am using it with excellent results. Best Gary
    Nflight.jpg

Here also is their web site for the Go Pro mount http://nflightcam.com/store/index.ph...let-mount.html