Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best panel for Carbon Cub?

Default Best panel for Carbon Cub?

Would like to get thoughts/opinions/experience from forum members on the best panel option for the Carbon Cub SS.....I am focused between My Panel and the VFR II package, but haven't ruled out other options. I am not wild about the small screen on the Garmin Aera 560. Anyone using just an iPad/Foreflight/Stratus II? The My Panel option loses the vertical speed indicator, and the turn coordinator is a different animal mounted on the dashboard. Also the Altimeter(Winter) is also smaller. Any comments on the Executive Glass package are also welcome. That Dynon FlightDek D-180 looks very cool and amazingly functional, but I see that Garmin has discontinued the GDU 370/375, so where does that leave us? I also understand there have been some custom panels configured, and would love to hear about them too........ Another issue for consideration is keeping up with future technology changes down the road, as cost efficiently as possible. Thanks very much.
    Last edited by nedgrace; 04-28-2013 at 07:49 PM.

Ned Grace
    Carbon Cub #275
    Windermere, FL

Default Re: Best panel for Carbon Cub?

Ned, I'm at the same stage except I'm selecting a panel for my CC EX. Also favoring either the MyPanel or a Deluxe VFR.

A couple questions for Mitch or someone on the avionics side at Cubcrafters....

1) The transponder for the MyPanel configuration is a Mode S rather than the Garmin 327 GTX mode C. I’m assuming the Mode S is fine in class B airspace. Any comments on the two different modes…C and S… transponders?

2) For autopilot equipped, where has the plant or other builders located the control on the MyPanel and the Deluxe VFR panels?

Thanks
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by nedgrace View Post
    Would like to get thoughts/opinions/experience from forum members on the best panel option for the Carbon Cub SS.....I am focused between My Panel and the VFR II package, but haven't ruled out other options. I am not wild about the small screen on the Garmin Aera 560. Anyone using just an iPad/Foreflight/Stratus II? The My Panel option loses the vertical speed indicator, and the turn coordinator is a different animal mounted on the dashboard. Also the Altimeter(Winter) is also smaller. Any comments on the Executive Glass package are also welcome. That Dynon FlightDek D-180 looks very cool and amazingly functional, but I see that Garmin has discontinued the GDU 370/375, so where does that leave us? I also understand there have been some custom panels configured, and would love to hear about them too........ Another issue for consideration is keeping up with future technology changes down the road, as cost efficiently as possible. Thanks very much.
    Ned, as I mentioned I'm also leaning towards either MyPanel or the VFR Deluxe.
    Here's a few of my comments or observations, some just echoing what you're saying or asking....

- I'm also not crazy about the small Aera 560 screen.
    - I've heard lots of guys are using the iPad but more for high contrast charts like Approach plates and IFR routes. Does anyone have any comments on how the iPad works in bright sunlight for sections or TAC's?
    - Any success with anti glare screens for the iPad?
    - I could mount a 796 on the MyPanel and still have room for the autopilot box but now I’m up at the cost of the VFR Deluxe package
    - I like the larger gauges on the VFR Deluxe panel….particularly airspeed indicator.
    - I like the radio and transponder on the VFR Deluxe better.
    - And then again, iPad with the new iLevil series of AHRS just coming out would be pretty amazing and would have all the Engine monitoring that a guy could ask for.

So, I'm undecided obviously...If I could switch up (and fit) a Garmin 796 in place of the Aera 560 that would probably answer all my concerns except still not sure where I'd put my autopilot.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Ned, as I mentioned I'm also leaning towards either MyPanel or the VFR Deluxe.
    Here's a few of my comments or observations, some just echoing what you're saying or asking....

- I'm also not crazy about the small Aera 560 screen.
    - I've heard lots of guys are using the iPad but more for high contrast charts like Approach plates and IFR routes. Does anyone have any comments on how the iPad works in bright sunlight for sections or TAC's?
    - Any success with anti glare screens for the iPad?
    - I could mount a 796 on the MyPanel and still have room for the autopilot box but now I’m up at the cost of the VFR Deluxe package
    - I like the larger gauges on the VFR Deluxe panel….particularly airspeed indicator.
    - I like the radio and transponder on the VFR Deluxe better.
    - And then again, iPad with the new iLevil series of AHRS just coming out would be pretty amazing and would have all the Engine monitoring that a guy could ask for.

So, I'm undecided obviously...If I could switch up (and fit) a Garmin 796 in place of the Aera 560 that would probably answer all my concerns except still not sure where I'd put my autopilot.
    Thanks Paul. I agree with you if we could get the Garmin 796 to fit in the VFR !! panel, it would likely be the best solution. Please keep me up on anything you hear from Mitch or others at CC on upcoming changes. Looks like they are going to have to change the Executive Glass offering......

Ned Grace
    Carbon Cub #275
    Windermere, FL

Quote Originally Posted by nedgrace View Post

• Garmin Aera: I don't have any issues with the screen size of the Aera. Its about the same size as the 496 that it replaced. I am not a fan of the touch screen, especially in that unit it always looks washed out. I think its a pressure type of touch screen so it's not smooth glass like an iPad screen.
    • I think the iPad is a great accessory in the cockpit but I don't like it in the panel. I use it with Garmin Pilot and Foreflight a lot but just put it on my lap or keep it between the right rudder cable and the side panel right below the door.
    • VSI is nice but not absolutely necessary
    • Slip Skid ball is easy to get used to where ever it's mounted (though personal preference, I don't like it on top of the glare shield)
    • The executive glass is top of the line. My favorite (stock) panel layout by far. There is SO much information there for whatever kind of flying you are doing.

Summary:

My personal preference of panels: 1) Executive Glass, 2) Deluxe VFR Very distant 3rd would be MyPanel.

I have never talked to a customer who opted for the Executive glass and regretted it. I HAVE talked to multiple customers who have opted for the other panels and wished they had gone with the Executive Glass.

The iPad is really cool but it has some limitations. I think there are some aps out now that do navigation and engine info (via a blind engine monitoring box and Bluetooth or WIFI) but when I tested it we had to switch aps to go from navigation to engine monitoring etc. It would take several seconds for the ap to get going again each time you switched. Much nicer to have everything displayed at once and available at a glance, no buttons to access most common
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post

The 796 would fit in the MyPanel and you would have room for the rectangular control head for the autopilot below it. That would be a customization of the MyPanel and would require a custom quote.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    • Garmin Aera: I don't have any issues with the screen size of the Aera. Its about the same size as the 496 that it replaced. I am not a fan of the touch screen, especially in that unit it always looks washed out. I think its a pressure type of touch screen so it's not smooth glass like an iPad screen.
    • I think the iPad is a great accessory in the cockpit but I don't like it in the panel. I use it with Garmin Pilot and Foreflight a lot but just put it on my lap or keep it between the right rudder cable and the side panel right below the door.
    • VSI is nice but not absolutely necessary
    • Slip Skid ball is easy to get used to where ever it's mounted (though personal preference, I don't like it on top of the glare shield)
    • The executive glass is top of the line. My favorite (stock) panel layout by far. There is SO much information there for whatever kind of flying you are doing.

Summary:

My personal preference of panels: 1) Executive Glass, 2) Deluxe VFR Very distant 3rd would be MyPanel.

I have never talked to a customer who opted for the Executive glass and regretted it. I HAVE talked to multiple customers who have opted for the other panels and wished they had gone with the Executive Glass.

The iPad is really cool but it has some limitations. I think there are some aps out now that do navigation and engine info (via a blind engine monitoring box and Bluetooth or WIFI) but when I tested it we had to switch aps to go from navigation to engine monitoring etc. It would take several seconds for the ap to get going again each time you switched. Much nicer to have everything displayed at once and available at a glance, no buttons to access most common
    Great feedback, thanks very much Pete. Both the Garmin GDU 370/375s are supposedly discontinued. Garmin doesn't list either on their website anymore. What will replace it on the Executive Glass panel option?
    Last edited by nedgrace; 04-29-2013 at 11:15 AM.

Ned Grace
    Carbon Cub #275
    Windermere, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    The 796 would fit in the MyPanel and you would have room for the rectangular control head for the autopilot below it. That would be a customization of the MyPanel and would require a custom quote.

My latest CC has the my panel with a 796 ( actually LOVED my prior 496 deluxe panel and was skeptical about changing and I do love the larger screen of the 796. Pete is correct re the 560 I have one of those also in a Stearman and do not like it for the reasons he stated. I have a SL40 below the 796 all installed beautifully by Pete and love it, seems to be a good combo of old school with glass. You do not need VSI as your Garmin will show VSI on screen. I also opted for the Trig round transponder and works grea.t Pete may have a picture of the panel to post. Best Gary

Quote Originally Posted by glickle View Post
    My latest CC has the my panel with a 796 ( actually LOVED my prior 496 deluxe panel and was skeptical about changing and I do love the larger screen of the 796. Pete is correct re the 560 I have one of those also in a Stearman and do not like it for the reasons he stated. I have a SL40 below the 796 all installed beautifully by Pete and love it, seems to be a good combo of old school with glass. You do not need VSI as your Garmin will show VSI on screen. I also opted for the Trig round transponder and works grea.t Pete may have a picture of the panel to post. Best Gary
    Thanks very much Gary. I hope either you or Pete can show us a photo of your panel.

Ned Grace
    Carbon Cub #275
    Windermere, FL

IMGP3774.jpg

This is actually a photo that Gary took. The N number is the only thing that isn't final in this photo.

It started out as a MyPanel with custom color (yellow) vs the standard slate grey.

Then we added:

• Garmin 796 in an AirGizmos panel dock
    • Took the round com out to put an Electronics International FP-5L fuel flow computer in its place
    • Garmin SL40 com below the 796
    • PM3000 Stereo intercom below that.
    • The round knob in the lower right is an added dimmer for the back lighting of the EI engine gauges

I can't remember for sure but I think we may have added a rear seat 12 volt power socket?

The black overlay around the GPS/COM/Intercom was custom hand cut out of a blank of placard stock.

The 796 data line is tied into the SL40 to transfer radio frequencies and to the fuel flow computer so the FP-5L can calculate things like MPG and fuel at the way point.

The 796 audio is tied to the intercom for XM radio and warning messages.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc