Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best panel for Carbon Cub?

Default Re: Best panel for Carbon Cub?

Mine is the performance VFR. I don't know if it is still offered. I remember seeing a picture nearly identical to mine in the factory photos on the Cubcrafters site, but don't have the link. My layout uses a GDU 375, although the 696 is nearly identical, and I have great functionality with the panel option on the GDU. Mine is just a little different, in that the VSI has been replaced with an EI that has EGT and CHT's. not a problem since it is with the panel on the GDU. It's really nice to have the CHT and EGT as well. I am biased of course, but I think, next to glass panel, this is one to consider.

I bought the executive glass panel and have been very happy with it.
    I did have the factory add an analog airspeed because I think the digital on the Dynon is hard to read quickly.
    In our airplanes, airspeed is critical and, to me, analog is best because it can be read at a glance.
    The small analog airspeed did not have the standard markings, stall, flap, etc so I marked it myself.
    I also had the first autopilot installed.
    I carry an Ipad loaded with Foreflight on a leg strap
    All in all I think it's a great panel.
    To bad Garmin has dropped the g3X. I guess the uncertified unit only sold to the light sport and experimental market and that's too small to be profitable.
    It could also be that the unit was not touch screen and that is the trend today.
    There is a problem with touch screen in turbulence, your fingers bounce around.
    Bill

PS edit
    I just looked at the Garmin website and it lists the G3X under the Sport Aviation category.
    Last edited by seastar; 05-01-2013 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by seastar View Post
    I bought the executive glass panel and have been very happy with it.
    I did have the factory add an analog airspeed because I think the digital on the Dynon is hard to read quickly.
    In our airplanes, airspeed is critical and, to me, analog is best because it can be read at a glance.
    The small analog airspeed did not have the standard markings, stall, flap, etc so I marked it myself.
    I also had the first autopilot installed.
    I carry an Ipad loaded with Foreflight on a leg strap
    All in all I think it's a great panel.
    To bad Garmin has dropped the g3X. I guess the uncertified unit only sold to the light sport and experimental market and that's too small to be profitable.
    It could also be that the unit was not touch screen and that is the trend today.
    There is a problem with touch screen in turbulence, your fingers bounce around.
    Bill

PS edit
    I just looked at the Garmin website and it lists the G3X under the Sport Aviation category.
    Yes Bill, you are correct. I didn't realize that the GDU 370/375 are part of the G3X system, but I talked to Garmin today and they said those units are still available.

Ned Grace
    Carbon Cub #275
    Windermere, FL

Quote Originally Posted by nedgrace View Post
    Would like to get thoughts/opinions/experience from forum members on the best panel option for the Carbon Cub SS.....I am focused between My Panel and the VFR II package, but haven't ruled out other options. I am not wild about the small screen on the Garmin Aera 560. Anyone using just an iPad/Foreflight/Stratus II? The My Panel option loses the vertical speed indicator, and the turn coordinator is a different animal mounted on the dashboard. Also the Altimeter(Winter) is also smaller. Any comments on the Executive Glass package are also welcome. That Dynon FlightDek D-180 looks very cool and amazingly functional, but I see that Garmin has discontinued the GDU 370/375, so where does that leave us? I also understand there have been some custom panels configured, and would love to hear about them too........ Another issue for consideration is keeping up with future technology changes down the road, as cost efficiently as possible. Thanks very much.
    Hi
    My CC has the two panel G3X which is really information overload but very useful and integrates everything.
    Cubcrafters has installed several so Pete is very familiar with it.
    Alan
    Alan Maurer
    Carbon Cub #183
    Sarasota, FL

Quote Originally Posted by armaurer View Post
    Hi
    My CC has the two panel G3X which is really information overload but very useful and integrates everything.
    Cubcrafters has installed several so Pete is very familiar with it.
    Alan
    Thanks for your input Alan. I will review that installation with Pete.

Ned Grace
    Carbon Cub #275
    Windermere, FL

Thanks very much to everyone for their input on this subject. Greatly appreciated! It was very helpful.

Ned Grace
    Carbon Cub #275
    Windermere, FL

Quote Originally Posted by nedgrace View Post
    Thanks very much to everyone for their input on this subject. Greatly appreciated! It was very helpful.

Found that link for the performance VFR on the website, if you haven't already. Enjoy!

http://www.cubcrafters.com/carboncub...y#!prettyPhoto[interior]/0/
    Todd Hunter
    Carbon Cub #169
    Boulder, Colorado