Thread: Cold Weather Gear

Default Cold Weather Gear

In the next few weeks I will the the proud new owner of a 2008 Sport Cub, currently based out of Sandpoint,ID. My agent, Chip Allen has arranged for Pete Dougherty to ferry it over to YKM for a pre-purchase inspection and annual.
    My plans are to pick it up in YKM and fly it back to Georgia, following another Cub ( piloted by Clay Hammond or his brother Nate) headed the same direction.
    I have been following Clay's posts on Cross Country out of Yakima/CubCrafters. In these posts he mentions that he takes cold weather/camping gear anytime he makes this trip after early September.
    I would like recommendations as to what I should bring along for this trip keeping in mind that I am from Middle Georgia and cold weather gear means to me that I have to wear shoes and possible socks!
    Alex Bell

Default Re: Cold Weather Gear

Congrats on your sport cub purchase and welcome to the CC family!! The one you purchased is like new! Have fun!
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

Default Re: Cold Weather Gear

Welcome to the family Alex: I am from Northern Montana and don't fly anywhere this time of year without survival gear/cold weather gear. Keep in mind, anything not in your vest is camping gear...not survival gear. That said, I always travel with: sleeping bag, down (or poly) booties, some MRE's, some water, some light rope, a few heavy duty garbage bags, and a knife in the back of the airplane. There are long discussions on what should be in your survival vest, but basically, I carry: PLB, garbage bags, a couple of ways to start a fire, knife, signal mirror. There is other stuff in there but I want to make sure I always wear the survival vest and keep it comfortable. There are a number of good satellite locator devices out there now...l would get one. A couple of them can track you across country, you can give your friends your webpage where the results are plotted and they can follow you. By using your location projected on earth satellite images, they get to see what you are seeing in real time. Enjoy the trip and the new airplane.... Ralph
    Last edited by Centmont; 02-11-2013 at 08:36 AM.
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.