Thread: Service Bulletin 23 (SB00023)

Default Service Bulletin 23 (SB00023)

Dear Sport Cub Owners,

Yesterday we mailed out a paper copy of Service Bulletin 23, which can be found on the Owner Support page on the website here. This document concerns the inline fuse holders and is applicable to all Sport Cub aircraft (S/N 0001 -00186).

There have been issues with fuse blocks overheating, which will be alleviated with the installation of new inline fuse holders. The instructions vary slightly depending on the currently installed fuses on your aircraft. Aircraft with the latest fuse holders already installed will require only minimal inspection in order to comply with the Service Bulletin.

Please contact customer support for any questions or parts. Thank you.

Adam Sloon
    Engineer - Cub Crafters

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

Default Re: Service Bulletin 23 (SB00023)

When I got wind of this SB, I went out and bought the parts and had the SB done on our SportCub last week. (We were adding a 15 amp load to the elec system and accomplishing the SB seemed like a good idea.)

It took about $20 in parts and $130 for a mechanic to get the job done. Piece of cake. Just to clarify, I bought the prescribed parts from the prescribed vendor and had them installed using the prescribed methodology prior to the prescribed SB being printed. :-)

Take care,

John
    Last edited by JohnM; 02-12-2013 at 01:04 PM.

I do not see a vendor listed, must we use CubCrafters?
    Diana Votaw
    N110CV

Sport Cub Owners

If your Sport Cub does not have the in-line fuses installed already you can order the parts at no charge through Vera in CubCrafters Services at 509-248-9491 ext 105. I apologize for any confusion on this.

Regards

Jeff Glab
    Customer Support Manager
    Last edited by Jeff Glab; 02-13-2013 at 09:46 AM.

I must have missed that in the cover letter...
    Diana Votaw
    N110CV

Quote Originally Posted by Pokette View Post
    I must have missed that in the cover letter...
    Failing to include a cover letter with this latest bulletin was an oversight on my part. Future service documents should contain one, as they have in the past, to clarify the purpose of the documents and reduce confusion.

As for the issue of parts being supplied by CubCrafters and those covered by the owners, this has been a thoroughly debated topic. While CubCrafters does not want to impart unnecessary costs to the customer, continued operational safety is a reality and our responsibility as the manufacturer.

The parts in this particular case are being provided free of charge as the inherent cost of billing and processing combined with the actual parts cost is basically a wash. In the future, CubCrafters will determine the cost of parts, and in similar cases will cover them. However, with more expensive fixes CubCrafters will likely not cover parts as costs compound with the ever increasing size of the fleet. This is the common practice with aircraft manufacturers and does not reflect an attitude of indifference or greediness.

Note that this practice does not change or affect costs for aircraft covered under warranty. All service documents are analyzed on a case by case basis, so unique circumstances may always apply, but this process is intended to set a standard for future documents. Please feel free to ask any questions.

- Adam Sloon
    Engineering - CubCrafters
    Last edited by Adam Sloon; 02-14-2013 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Typo

Additionally, in this case there are multiple similar parts (fuse holders) readily available in the field that will not work even though they look similar. It is critical to use the proper parts in this case as not all fuse holders that look similar are rated for the current that passes through them in this installation. The fuse holders that CubCrafters provides for this are properly rated and have good service history behind them to back that up.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc