Thread: Two different ways of US a/c registration...question of mine

Question Two different ways of US a/c registration...question of mine

Happy new year...dear Cubcrafters, Cubcrafter forum user and Cub friends...

...at first excused please my simple (and unsafely) english.

If I watching some pics with Cubs I have seen two different ways of a/c registration.

The first way (for example) is...
    N82213
    and for second way for registration I have seen...
    N523CC
    What is the importance of this difference, or
    classified this additionally the aircrafts.

thank you in advance
    and a nice weekend

Roberto
    Germany
    (near lake Kummerow)

Default Re: Two different ways of US a/c registration...question of mine

Hello Roberto, and welcome to the forum. It is a reasonable question, because the US registration mark format can be confusing.

There is no significance to the difference between N82213 and N523CC. Unlike Germany, where the first letter after the 'D' nationality mark refers to the aircraft category, US civil registrations after the 'N' nationality mark don't have any special meaning. Aircraft manufacturers or individual owners may request any combination of letters and numbers (as long as there are no more than two letters, and they are at the end of the registration mark), if not already in use by someone else. Owners often request registration marks that include the initials of their name, or something else meaningful to them. The necessary paperwork is easy, and FAA requires only a $10 fee. The most expensive part is the paint.

CubCrafters requested a group of numbers that end, logically, in "CC", and those are usually assigned to airplanes unless the purchasers request something else. When I ordered my new Sport Cub, CubCrafters asked me if I wanted a personalized registration mark. I wanted N121PS (for Psalm 121). Another airplane, a Pitts Special, had that same mark previously, but it had been exported to Canada in 2004, and the mark had become available for me.

US civil registrations may be in the following patterns of letters and numbers:

N1A
    N11A
    N111A
    N1111A
    N1AA
    N11AA
    N111AA
    N111
    N1111
    N11111

(Registrations with only one or two numbers, and no letters, are reserved for FAA aircraft.)

I hope this answers your question.
    Jeff Jacobs
    Vancouver WA / KVUO
    C-172N-180

[QUOTE=Unlike Germany, where the first letter after the 'D' nationality mark refers to the aircraft category, US civil registrations after the 'N' nationality mark don't have any special meaning.[/QUOTE]
    Don't forget that 45.22 allows you to use NC, NR NX or NL at the beginning of the number under the special conditions specified in the rule.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by clipwingcub View Post
    Don't forget that 45.22 allows you to use NC, NR NX or NL at the beginning of the number under the special conditions specified in the rule.
    True. I should have said that modern US registrations don't specify aircraft categories. Before 1950 they did (e.g., 'NC', 'NX', 'NR', etc.). FAA allows historic aircraft to display the old-style markings, though they are not now part of the official registration number.
    Jeff Jacobs
    Vancouver WA / KVUO
    C-172N-180

Hi Jeff, hi Tony,

thank you for the short instruction in US aircraft registration, thank you also for your quickly answer.

I had thought (or the idea), that the difference in the registration marks the class of LSA aircrafts (numbers only...N12345)....weight related.
    But now I know it better.

I like the registration of FAA aircrafts and helicopters.
    You can hear in the radio immediately...
    "...N22 final..."....oups here is a FAA inspector (or similar) underway !

This fact I didnīt know.

thanks again

regards
    Roberto

btw.
    off topic on
    A little bit the same like the registration of cars from employees in german authorities. Private cars are registered like (for example) DM-DM 88. The cars from authority employees can be registered like DM 12345 (also for private using, for private car). But for the private car is this the own decision.
    She saving money if she buying the car and if she must paying taxes, insurance and fees.

But she must paying the same fuel price...
    (between 1,56 -1,70 Eur / ltr around christmas time)
    off topic - off