Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fuel Tank Installation - Tips

Default Re: Fuel Tank Installation - Tips

Nice wing stands!

Quote Originally Posted by ceslaw View Post
    Nice wing stands!
    Yes, where did I find the idea for these stands? They were easy to make and work great, thanks. Notice I did try to credit you in my previous post.

The CubCrafters Forum is a handy thing sometimes!

Thanks guys for telling me what you know and what you have seen on your build. This answered my question.

Jim Morrical
    Last edited by jmorrical; 12-07-2015 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmorrical View Post
    Yes, where did I find the idea for these stands? They were easy to make and work great, thanks. Notice I did try to credit you in my previous post.

The CubCrafters Forum is a handy thing sometimes!

Thanks guys for telling me what you know and what you have seen on your build. This answered my question.

Jim Morrical
    I used the dimensions from the CC site & bought 4 little furniture movers from harbor freight for $9.00 ea & the rest is from the shipping container
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lbell; 12-08-2015 at 10:48 AM.

I'm currently building an EX3 after just finishing my EX2 and found a couple tricks that made installing the fuel tank bolts/nuts in place and thought I'd pass that on. The trick is how to get the bolt up high enough to get the washer and nut on and started? I've found that using some big pliers and safety wire will work pretty easily.

Before starting, set the fuel tanks in place and then place alot of weight on it. I used 2 of my 25 lbs weights from barbells. Just place the weights right on top of the fuel tanks so it will press them down tight against the bottom straps. I also prebend the straps just a little where they hit the tanks on the corners.

First, I use these small pliers to hold the bolt too get it started up through the bottom round strap fitting and then have some masking tape ready and wrap around the bolt just above the lower fitting to keep the bolt from slipping back out until I have the safety wire in place. Using the pliers, just get it started into the bottom hole and then you can get your hand up under the spar and push and hold it up from the bottom.

Fuel Tank Install 12.jpg

Have the masking tape ready and just stick in on enough to temporarily hold the bolt in place until you can get the .041" safety wire around the 2 parts.

Fuel Tank Install 11.jpg

Just get your wire into your safety wire pliers with a big loop on it and loop it over the top and bottom fitting while pushing the top fitting over the bolt. Then just snug it up to hold it all in place. Don't try to twist it and tighten it up....it's not strong enough and will just break the wire.

Fuel Tank Install 10.jpg

Fuel Tank Install 9.jpg

Then take your big pliers and put the bottom over the whole bolt head and then just get onto the outside edge of the top round fitting and squeeze them together until you get plenty of bolt head above the top fitting. Then (while still holding it together with the pliers) grab your safety wire pliers and start twisting to take up the slack and hold what you've got and then you can remove your big pliers.

Fuel Tank Install 7.jpg

Fuel Tank Install 3.jpg

Next you will notice that the bolt is too close to the fuel tank fitting to get the washer and nut over the top of it. I used a chisel against the small pliers handle to gently pull the bolt away from the fitting (there is lots of room inside the fitting as it's much bitter than the bolt diameter for some reason) enough to get the washer and then nut onto it and the nut started.

Fuel Tank Install 5.jpg

Then I took a 3/8" open end wrench and bent it in the vice so I could get it in and onto the bolt head.

Fuel Tank Install 2.jpg

Fuel Tank Install.jpg

The nut is not torqued but should be tightened until completely bottomed out on the bolt.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Daveembry; 05-23-2018 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Added weight info

Quote Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
    I just used a longer bolt, pulled it all tight, took the long bolts out and put in the AN20, went right in, realllllly easy
    GW
    I did it that way too. Easy, no plier used.