Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring gear

Default Spring gear

Will a version of the spring gear ever be developed for the PA-18?
    Last edited by Amre2me2; 12-29-2016 at 02:30 AM.

Default Re: Spring gea

Yes, like on the Xcub. Less drag. +14 mph is why.

I agree with Glenn on the gear. There are some things about a Super Cub type airplane that make it what it is and capable of landing and taking off from unimproved areas. The Cub-style gear being one of those.

But not everyone is needing those features and spring gear would be much more streamlined.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Default Re: Spring gear

Quote Originally Posted by Amre2me2 View Post
    Will a version of the spring gear ever be developed for the PA-18?

Improved aero dynamics and increased speed and also fewer parts as the brake line is Gun Drilled in that piece and the gear is your brake line. No brake lines running down the gear? MK
    Last edited by Mark Keneston; 12-30-2016 at 03:05 PM.

There is virtually no chance CubCrafters will ever make spring gear as a retrofit for the PA18. The main reason is that the fuselage structure where the gear attaches is significantly different. With "legacy gear" the loads (stresses) are spread over two attach points whereas with the spring gear both the gear itself and the fuselage structure must be stout enough to withstand pretty considerable loads in every direction that are concentrated at a single point. As I watched all of the Part 23 certification testing way back during that phase I was quite surprised how onerous it is.

The spring gear has some significant benefits, which is why we developed it for the XCub, but it is heavier, more expensive, and must have a fuselage designed specifically for it.
    Randy Lervold

[QUOTE=randylervold;17593

The spring gear has some significant benefits, which is why we developed it for the XCub, but it is heavier, more expensive, and must have a fuselage designed specifically for it.[/QUOTE]

It is easy to see that spring gear is much cleaner compared to draggy Cub gear and that cruise speeds would be improved. What other benefits go with spring gear?
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    It is easy to see that spring gear is much cleaner compared to draggy Cub gear and that cruise speeds would be improved. What other benefits go with spring gear?

Fewer pieces to make/inventory/assemble and remove/install when going on and off of floats.

No moving parts to maintain.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

We've subjected our XCub spring gear to a variety of off-airport environments and it does a great job. We were pleasantly surprised. And its stable, predictable, and docile on-airport handling is a big plus. No back-country tail wheel airplane is easier to land than an XCub.

For the ultimate in off-airport operations though, there is still nothing that equals a Carbon Cub with HD forged axle gear, reverse mount/top feed 1.75" HD Grove brakes, braided stainless brake lines, 29" Airstreaks, and the Acme Aerofab coil spring/oil damped shocks.
    Last edited by John Hodges; 01-04-2017 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hodges View Post
    We've subjected our XCub spring gear to a variety of off-airport environments and it does a great job. We were pleasantly surprised. And its stable, predictable, and docile on-airport handling is a big plus. No back-country tail wheel airplane is easier to land than an XCub.

For the ultimate in off-airport operations though, there is still nothing that equals a Carbon Cub with HD forged axle gear, reverse mount/top feed 1.75" HD Grove brakes, braided stainless brake lines, 29" Airstreaks, and the Acme Aerofab coil spring/oil damped shocks.
    John,

Tell me about the "reverse mount/top feed" brakes. Just getting ready to install mine and this is the first I heard of that. Normally they mount on the forward side of the axles with the feed line on the bottom. Are you saying to mount them opposite with the feed line on top? Do you still have the calipers on the forward side of the axle?

Yes and Yes. Puts the line in a location less susceptible to damage. We order all our bare gear airplanes that way.