Thread: cold weather / breather

Default cold weather / breather

I think the breather tube setup on the O-340 is really a great idea - letting it burn off in the exhaust. I've never seen a plane that kept its belly so clean. But now that winter is at hand and I'm thinking about putting the Carbon Cub EX on skis I'm wondering if there is a potential problem with the breather freezing? With O-320's and an aluminum tube it is common in cold country to wrap the tube with insulation and drill a small hole about half way down the tube as a blow by in case the moisture pumped out the tube freezes. But this isn't practical to do with the O-340 setup and maybe not necessary. It surely won't be freezing at the end like a conventional tube could. Maybe just wrap it with some pipe insulation? Any ideas on this?

Default Re: cold weather / breather

Dan

I would wrap the tube with some kind of insulation, include the elbow fitting at the engine case. This elbow is probably the only place it could freeze up. I would probably stay away from the foam type insulation for this application.

Thanks
    Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Dan

I would wrap the tube with some kind of insulation, include the elbow fitting at the engine case. This elbow is probably the only place it could freeze up. I would probably stay away from the foam type insulation for this application.

Thanks
    Mitch
    Hi Mitch, Do you think Firesleeve would work OK over the elbow? I've been trying to come up with a heat resistant solution and it seems like a short section of Firesleeve might work out.

Dan

I think that a piece of fire sleeve would work good. I would cover the whole fitting ( upper fitting) and about 2" of the rubber hose.

Thanks
    Mitch

DSCN2155.jpg

It was a tight fit sliding a piece of Firesleeve over the fitting and hose clamp but it should do the job now.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011