Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autumn Scenery

Default Autumn Scenery

Fall colors are at their peak here right now. Yesterday was a rare clear, sunny day and rain is forecast for the weekend. I wanted to seize the opportunity for some photography before the leaves were knocked down by the rain, so I ducked out of the office early and fired up the Sport Cub.

Even though I was playing hooky, the staff was still hard at work. I could see their cars in the office parking lot (center) as I flew over!

The tent complex of Cavalia, a traveling equestrian show opening in the Pearl District of Portland, Oregon, next week:

Portland's picturesque and historic Union Station. By chance both daily long-distance Amtrak trains that serve Portland (Coast Starlight and Empire Builder) were at the station when I flew over.

Looking northwestward over downtown Portland and the Willamette River from the Cub's open door:

Jeff Jacobs
    Vancouver WA / KVUO
    C-172N-180

Default Re: Autumn Scenery

Wow Jeff, what a beautiful fall flight!
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

325321_176412169114900_100002383541583_364321_386879392_o.jpg

Hey, I got a shot of the same sunset! Walked out of the shop on my way home and it looked so good I just had to snap a pic.

Pete D.

I see you're sneaking around under the Class C airspace there over down town Portland Jeff. I used to do the same thing in my RVs when I lived down there, very scenic! Oh, the joys of Cub flying!
    Randy Lervold

Beautiful! Just a word of caution to everybody. Make sure nobody can read your numbers -- which another reason ELSA is such a great idea: small vertical numbers on the tail. And be advised tha the FAA's definition of a congested area is extremely inclusive. So if you can see a highway or some structures in the vacinity and you're below 1,000' agl, you could be in jeopardy. Speaking from experience.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hodges View Post
    Beautiful! Just a word of caution to everybody. Make sure nobody can read your numbers -- which another reason ELSA is such a great idea: small vertical numbers on the tail. And be advised tha the FAA's definition of a congested area is extremely inclusive. So if you can see a highway or some structures in the vacinity and you're below 1,000' agl, you could be in jeopardy. Speaking from experience.
    Right you are. My solution: A camera with a good zoom lens and a fast shutter. Those photos of downtown Portland were taken from 1,600' MSL. The top of the highest downtown building, according to the chart, is 546' MSL.

Jeff Jacobs
    Vancouver WA / KVUO
    C-172N-180

Beautiful pictures, Jeff. Thanks for sharing!!

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

Glad I took those pix when I did -- ever since then it's been as gray as a Confederate squirrel, and the weekend rain knocked a lot of the leaves down.
    Jeff Jacobs
    Vancouver WA / KVUO
    C-172N-180

Quote Originally Posted by Pilawt View Post
    Glad I took those pix when I did -- ever since then it's been as gray as a Confederate squirrel, and the weekend rain knocked a lot of the leaves down.
    Hay and old carbon cub driver on a cold night in Nebraska just got his spirits to soar. Thanks for the great pics. N 72 Whiskey Hotel

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilawt View Post
    Right you are. My solution: A camera with a good zoom lens and a fast shutter.
    And speaking of cameras, what were you using for your shoot?

John M