Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Landing lights

Default Best Landing lights

Hi All, Wondering if anyone has replaced their landing light with the LED made by either Whelen Parmethius @ $289 or Areoleds Sunspot @ $389 and has an opinion which one is better for the $. The Aerleds has a wig wag circuit which would only, as I undertand it require replacement of our panel two way switch with a three way. I am finding I am doig a fair amount of night time arrivals on grass which the LED replacements apear much brighter. Also along the coast flying with wig wag would help visibility. Anyone out there have acual experience with these two new alternatives? Best Gary

PS am up to 440 hours now and climbing Best Gary

Default Re: Best Landing lights

Gary,

We have switched from the HID unit we'd been using to the Whelen Parmethius in all new aircraft effective several months ago. It saved some weight and power consumption thus enabling us to use slightly smaller wires, which in turn saves more weight. Also, there is no ballast to install so we saved a bit of labor there.

I was skeptical of the LED landing light performance and so wouldn't approve the switch from the HIDs, which perform quite well, until I personally tried it. I made two night flights here in YKM, one night with the HID and then the next night with the LED after a customer aircraft was retrofitted. The quality of the light is different, it is softer, but about 90% as effective in illuminating the visual cues you need on the runway for night operation. After the second flight we approved the change.

Though some say it is ok, HIDs really should not be set up on a wig-wag circuit but as you know LEDs are perfectly suited to that use. If you intend to retrofit with a wig-wag circuit keep in mind that the light switch you currently have is a "breaker/switch" so using their 3-way switch might not be so simple.
    Randy Lervold

Also, there is no ballast to install so we saved a bit of labor there.

Thanks much Randy and where is that Ballast installed so that I may remove it also when replacing the light or is that not a good idea re wiring redo? I heard from others ( not CC guys) with a ballast that the high whine we get over the headset while the Landing light is on also goes away with the LED. Best Gary
    Last edited by glickle; 05-04-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by glickle View Post
    Thanks much Randy and where is that Ballast installed so that I may remove it also when replacing the light or is that not a good idea re wiring redo? I heard from others ( not CC guys) with a ballast that the high whine we get over the headset while the Landing light is on also goes away with the LED. Best Gary
    The ballast is attached to the fwd spar behind the landing light, I can't remember if it's on the forward or back side. We have improved our noise reduction since your plane was built and can send the filter we now use up on the alternator. Contact Ethen or new guy Jason (he starts next Monday) for that. Indeed, there should be less whine with the LED landing light, but there shouldn't be any whine anyway.
    Randy Lervold

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    Indeed, there should be less whine with the LED landing light, but there shouldn't be any whine anyway.
    Unless you're carrying a passenger, but then that's a different issue.

Jeff Jacobs
    Vancouver WA / KVUO
    C-172N-180

The ballast is on the aft side of the spar, not super easy to get off, but really not to bad. Any electrical noise you have with the HID should be 100% eliminated with the LED.

We have had good luck using the Max Pulse switch. Very easy to install and doesn't take any more power

Pete D

Quote Originally Posted by glickle View Post
    Also, there is no ballast to install so we saved a bit of labor there.

Also the ballast light introduces a large error in the Dynon remote compass when the light is on for those who have the Dynon option.

Randy, could you provide a link to the new landing light you are using? Would it be hard to retrofit? I like running night and day with a landing light but have not done it in my CC because of compass error.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Quote Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
    Randy, could you provide a link to the new landing light you are using? Would it be hard to retrofit? I like running night and day with a landing light but have not done it in my CC because of compass error.
    Never mind found the Whelen Parmetheus here.

Looks like it is a drop in replacement, can you confirm.

Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Yes it is a drop in replacement.

You can give CCS a call and order one from Vera, they should be in stock....

Pete D

Thanks Pete just so we understand , then we do not have to remove the ballast unless we want to for weight? I understand from others that the whine will go away using a LED without adding a fliter to the alternator due to the lower power requirements at least others ( non CC people) tell me. Also is your suggested Max Pulse switch in lieu of the Aeroleds unit to provide wig wag on the Wehlen unit or am I not understanding this? Best Gary