Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Poor rating

Default Re: Poor rating

When we came back from STOL contest last year we had some winds to deal with. I landed first then videoed the next 2. Didn’t seem very difficult just fly the plane still you stop. Here a 20yr old kid with couple hundred hrs in his cub. Only thing he did wrong was not dump the flaps sooner. Tulsa reported 40 gusting to 45. About a 30 deg cross wind. I had plenty of rudder and aileron it was actually kinda fun.,he kept it straight and in the center.
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

Yes, but conditions like this can lead to loss of control on landing incidents that give insurance carriers heartburn.

I think Chuck will agree that if that Carbon Cub was equipped with, for example, Acme struts the pilot could have planted that right gear and kept it planted while he dropped the left gear down. Much easier to maintain control.

When more advanced Carbon Cub suspensions become more widely adopted, loss of control on landing incidents will be considerably reduced.

Default QRe: Poor rating

The conditions in that video look to be somewhat less than a 20 k cross wind. That's what a 40k wind will produce at 30degrees.
    in any case it illustrates the problems a very light aircraft has with gusty crosswinds.
    Bill

Nothing wrong with the landing gear, even stock bungees that time in the seat won't cure. You need to fly when it's windy, even if you don't like it. Your going to need that skill someday whether you like flying in it or not.

Glenn

[QUOTE=John Hodges;21121
    I think Chuck will agree that if that Carbon Cub was equipped with, for example, Acme struts the pilot could have planted that right gear and kept it planted while he dropped the left gear down. Much easier to maintain control.

When more advanced Carbon Cub suspensions become more widely adopted, loss of control on landing incidents will be considerably reduced.[/QUOTE]

Yes I totally agree John the AOSS never moved (they didn’t have AcME back then)and If he would of just dumped his flaps 1/2 second before the first wheel hit it would planted and never of bounced or wiggled. I just did t see that as being very difficult he just flew the airplane. My point was there’s plenty of rudder and aileron in these cubs. A 15 crosswind is a non event if your proficient in your cub if your not then it’s probably very difficult and should get some instruction. We take these cubs in to strips all the time one way in and out so we’ll have a 20 -25 tailwinds/crosswind and these cubs handle it no problem. He implied these were Very difficult in winds because of a plane problem. I just disagree with him.
    Insurance companies don’t care how many ratings someone has they know CC don’t have training wheels in the front so a Little trainings doesn’t seem to much to ask. That’s why CC offers Tac Aero training,these guys specifically train cub/tailwheel pilots. Maybe they let Jet guys just jump in them and take off I got to fly a Citation couple times I thought it was as easy as it gets (once he started it for me&#128514 Try to insure a Cirrus they won’t even give you insurance with out a instrument rating.
    chuck
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cubdriver2 View Post
    Nothing wrong with the landing gear, even stock bungees that time in the seat won't cure. You need to fly when it's windy, even if you don't like it. Your going to need that skill someday whether you like flying in it or not.

Glenn
    Absolutely Glenn👍
    The acme gear does make it easier though. Go fly some I here there a set by you.
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com

I didn't imply there was anything wrong with a CC. I said you will run out of rudder and aleion at some point. That happens in all airplanes. That's why the FAA demands a demonstrated maximum crosswind when an aircraft is certified.
    I don't even remember the number for a CC but I'll bet I fly at higher than the "demonstrated".
    I am sorry my skill dosent match yours but I think I'll keep flying within my limits.

Like I said before, I started this to ask about insurance carriers.
    This thread has gon so far off track that I'm not going to post on it anymore
    Thanks again to those who answered my original question.
    Bill

I was not judging anyone's skill level. Just stating that we all need to step out of our comfort zone to maintain the tools we will need someday.

Glenn

Geez... This is what happens to so many threads on COPA.
    They go way offtrack and criticism (intentional or not) becomes the main issue.
    Not the norm for CC forum.

David
    Last edited by David H; 04-08-2018 at 08:40 AM.

PS: There is no question that a CC is very difficult to handle in a strong or gusty crosswind.
    My personal limit is 15k. Any more and I find another place to land or land on grass or a taxiway that's more into the wind.

Let's review where this flew off track!
    Last edited by 40m; 04-08-2018 at 03:44 PM.