Thread: Ground power and battery tender for XCub?

Default Ground power and battery tender for XCub?

We're new to the Garmin G3X, so having a ground power system would be nice. Or at least a battery tender that'll top it back up after some time with the system online. Can anyone make a recommendation?

-Dane

Default Re: Ground power and battery tender for XCub?

Dane, not on the xcub specifically, but I’ve been using these in my Carbon Cubs. I install the harness with the ring terminals onto the battey posts and run it out the front, Under the seat position. Then you can just plug it into the unit easily.

This model has different modes of operation and will do normal charging where it will vary the rate of charge for “standard” charging and then maintain a “standard” level.....or ou can set the mode to “storage” and it will maintain a different leve. I have had good luck with them and at Harbor Freight they are quite inexpensive. I also use this model on my atv’s, lawn mower, travel trailer, etc.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-amp-...ner-63350.html

Quote Originally Posted by dane View Post
    We're new to the Garmin G3X, so having a ground power system would be nice. Or at least a battery tender that'll top it back up after some time with the system online. Can anyone make a recommendation?

-Dane
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Check out - BatteryMINDer Model 2012-AGM: 12Volt-2 Amp Battery Charger Maintainer/Desulfator for Odyssey, Optima and AGM Lead-Acid Batteries. Specifically designed for AGM batteries. Available on Amazon. Connecting cable routed below rear of pilot seat. Easy to connect. Plugged in after every flight.

With this maintainer, Odessey battery in previous aircraft lasted over 5 years.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by dane View Post

-Dane

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Tew View Post
    Connecting cable routed below rear of pilot seat. Easy to connect. Plugged in after every flight.

Bill
    XCub battery is behind the rear baggage bulkhead that should have 1/4 turns on it (unless it is a really early one). I have seen some people run the pigtail out the bottom of the removable bulkhead so it is easily accessible by just opening the baggage door.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    XCub battery is behind the rear baggage bulkhead that should have 1/4 turns on it (unless it is a really early one). I have seen some people run the pigtail out the bottom of the removable bulkhead so it is easily accessible by just opening the baggage door.
    I ended up connecting our battery tender via the 12V accessory plug in the rear seat storage area.

But we're now replacing our second battery, because they've been repeatedly depleted by the convenience light in the rear cabin. Grr. Pulled that fuse finally. It's silly that this light isn't disconnected with the mains, it consumes power even when it is not turned on.