Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Vernatherm

Default Re: Vernatherm

Installed the shutter and flew today. Temps 28-30f. Rpm 2250. No cowl openings sealed off. Oil temp with shutter closed 160. With shutter open dropped about 18 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post
    Installed the shutter and flew today. Temps 28-30f. Rpm 2250. No cowl openings sealed off. Oil temp with shutter closed 160. With shutter open dropped about 18 degrees.
    Happy to hear you got it installed and that it is working for you.

Mine still cools the oil with it completely closed. Planning to plow at the airport the snow we got yesterday and then fly some more today.
    Last edited by Dan L; 01-02-2017 at 06:00 PM.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

I was out today, -21c on the ground, -15c in the air. All of the oil cooler blocked off and the inlets. 190 on the oil at 60% and dropped a few degrees at 55%. Seams like the only way to get the oil temp up is tape as the control gates must leak to much air. I plan just to use tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I don't understand on blocking the inlets is why there is such an effect on oil temp. The inlets provide air for the area behind the cooler i.e behind plenum. I guess that somehow must increase flow through cooler?

Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post
    What I don't understand on blocking the inlets is why there is such an effect on oil temp. The inlets provide air for the area behind the cooler i.e behind plenum. I guess that somehow must increase flow through cooler?
    I think it is cold air hitting the area on the top of the cooler. It is a large area and will definitely cool from the air passing over it.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBranch View Post
    I think it is cold air hitting the area on the top of the cooler. It is a large area and will definitely cool from the air passing over it.

Bingo. I agree. That is what I inartfully suggested in my last post. 10 degree air blowing at 100 mph over the oil cooler makes covering the fins on the cooler of limited effect. Need to plug the cowl top vents.

But I still wonder if the temp sensor is picking up the true temp of the oil in the pan or just the tiny bit of cooled oil that has passed through the cooler past a mostly closed vernatherm. Would like to see a diagram of the oil flow. I wonder if this could be a non-issue based on misleading oil temperature readings because of where the temp sensor is sampling.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    Happy to hear you got it installed and that it is working for you.

Mine still cools the oil with it completely closed. Planning to plow at the airport the snow we got yesterday and then fly some more today.
    image.jpg

The dog and I got the plowing finished.

Later I flew in 10 degree temps and same thing going on with hotter indicated temperature with the shutter open. I've still got the scoops taped shut. Could well be that the thermocouple location is fooling me.

I flew to to another airport which sits near the mouth of a canyon. With an east wind, as there was today, it can howl through there but right down the runway centerline. I landed on 07 with hard a hard couple of inches of unplowed snow left on it. When I took off I'm sure the plane didn't slide more than a ski length. DA computes to about -1500'.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I made what might be the last ski flight of the season. We've warmed up and the snow is leaving.

I flew at at the warmest temps I've seen so far this winter and it was close to 40 at 5500 feet this afternoon. I decided to test the oil cooler shutter some more in the warmer air. Closing it completely raised the oils temperature about 25 degrees. This is what I'd expect. But that is completely opposite of what I'd observed in colder air. As I reported earlier in the winter closing the shutter lowered the oil temp.

What made the difference today I don't know.

Low oil pressure, restricted oil flow, blocked oil line to cooler? Has anyone ever experienced low oil pressure fluctuations ? I have just recently developed this after 175 hrs of normal oil pressure readings and am thinking I have restricted oil flow in the oil lines due to gunk or some foreign object. Or possible restricted flow to the oil pressure sensor is possible? Or restricted flow somewhere else in the system ?
    Anyone else have a issue like this ever and what did you find out?
    thanks, Royce Anderson
    CC 11-160-#328 N349W

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyroyce View Post
    Low oil pressure, restricted oil flow, blocked oil line to cooler? Has anyone ever experienced low oil pressure fluctuations ? I have just recently developed this after 175 hrs of normal oil pressure readings and am thinking I have restricted oil flow in the oil lines due to gunk or some foreign object. Or possible restricted flow to the oil pressure sensor is possible? Or restricted flow somewhere else in the system ?
    Anyone else have a issue like this ever and what did you find out?
    thanks, Royce Anderson
    CC 11-160-#328 N349W

How much and how fast is the oil pressure fluctuating? If it is a large, fast fluctuation I would suspect the sensor first.

If it only happens in certain air conditions (low temperature?) possible that the oil is gelling in the cooler or lines when the vernatherm closes, then when the vernatherm opens back up the flow is restricted in the cooler by the gelled oil.

How much time on the oil? Does the oil pressure issue change after an oil change?
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc