Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Do I Need to Install Before Covering?

Default What Do I Need to Install Before Covering?

What do I need to install before covering?

For those of us at this point of the build.
    Here is a very short list:

AOA tubing
    Pitot tube bracket
    Magnatometer bracket and wiring
    ELT antenna, bracket and wiring
    Elevator trim indicator potentiometer and wiring

I'm sure there is more.
    Please add to the list.
    Where do you get this? Ordering the whole avionics panel and wiring from CC is one option. How did you do it?

Thanks,
    David

Default Re: What Do I Need to Install Before Covering?

If you want extra tie downs in the extended baggage now is the time to do that.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by David H View Post

AOA tubing
    Pitot tube bracket

I'm sure there is more.
    Please add to the list.
    Where do you get this? Ordering the whole avionics panel and wiring from CC is one option. How did you do it?

Thanks,
    David
    I had thought about adding a cable for a remote camera but decided not to right now figuring they might have it all bluetooth before long. Plus Mitch said you can always add one into the wing later.

Thanks Dave for this post. I'm about to start covering in spring and trying to learn/understand the 'things' that need to be in place before covering.

For the ELT, I understand that there are now ELT's with an internal antenna negating the need for an external (to the unit) antenna.

Another great question is where to buy? As an example, I was looking at the Garmin site and searched on their site for the GMU 22 and the search results are 'not found'.

I'm looking forward to the answers here as this is beginning to get frustrating!

Dan
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

If you are doing your own electronics/panel. You can get a wiring kit from Mitch for around 3k. That's what I did. The G3x touch wasn't an option yet when I was at that point. I had SteinAir cut a panel, make up my harnesses and sell me all my garmin supplies. (G3x, remote radio, xpdr, antennas, and engine sensors etc.) 10K and 3 months later, I had essentially the executive glass panel. Buying it from CC will cost more in money but save months of work and more than a few headaches.

I would get as much fitted and wired prior to cover as possible. Once covered, what would be a five minute job can turn into hours of frustration.

Recheck everything. Installing the gmu after paint is not the time to find out you can't connect two male ends together.

Jake

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Jake
    Finished CCEX N96FV!

Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    Thanks Dave for this post. I'm about to start covering in spring and trying to learn/understand the 'things' that need to be in place before covering.

For the ELT, I understand that there are now ELT's with an internal antenna negating the need for an external (to the unit) antenna.

Another great question is where to buy? As an example, I was looking at the Garmin site and searched on their site for the GMU 22 and the search results are 'not found'.

I'm looking forward to the answers here as this is beginning to get frustrating!

Dan
    Yes, I agree with Jake and get everything you can from CC. I got the G3X and also bought the ELT from them and it did come with the external antenna (mounted on the rear of the extended baggage panel very easily and is out of sight). I'm just finishing my wiring and trust me.....you want it all done by someone else unless you are an EXPERT in this area. These wiring harnesses being made up in advance by CC and the support from Mitch is worth every penny you are paying them. I am totally a newbie at any kind of wiring and while it was intimidating to say the least....you are only a phone call from Mitch who will simply say...."grab a wire and connect it here" and it's done. Without the support from CC and Mitch, I'm afraid I would not have gotten it done at all and hired it out. But in retrospect......it wasn't that hard once you understand it. (and that understanding comes from Mitch).

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    Yes, I agree with Jake and get everything you can from CC. I got the G3X and also bought the ELT from them and it did come with the external antenna (mounted on the rear of the extended baggage panel very easily and is out of sight). I'm just finishing my wiring and trust me.....you want it all done by someone else unless you are an EXPERT in this area. These wiring harnesses being made up in advance by CC and the support from Mitch is worth every penny you are paying them. I am totally a newbie at any kind of wiring and while it was intimidating to say the least....you are only a phone call from Mitch who will simply say...."grab a wire and connect it here" and it's done. Without the support from CC and Mitch, I'm afraid I would not have gotten it done at all and hired it out. But in retrospect......it wasn't that hard once you understand it. (and that understanding comes from Mitch).
    If there were a "like" button I would hit it.

since there isn't, I will just say I totally agree. Well said.

Concerning the installation of the Dynon heated pitot tube/AOA , has anyone got any pictures of an installation?
    There seems to be a variation of which wing bay to install or indeed how far back from the LE to minimise airflow disturbance.

AOA tubing
    Pitot tube bracket

I'm sure there is more.
    Please add to the list.

Thanks,
    David

Russell,

I put in the heated Garmin AOA pitot probe in the standard location as specified by CubCraters on my EX2.
    The holes for the pitot mounting bracket are pre drilled in the spar.

David

IMG_4910.jpg

IMG_8735.jpg

Thanks, Those pre-drilled holes look like those between ribs 6 and 7 on the EX2.
    Is there a standard location in the wing manual for the pitot head?
    The pneumatic tube is shown to terminate between ribs 4 and 5 in photo 186 on page 137 of the wing manual, adjacent to the wing strut support.
    Cheers
    Russell,

I put in the heated Garmin AOA pitot probe in the standard location as specified by CubCraters on my EX2.
    The holes for the pitot mounting bracket are pre drilled in the spar.

David

IMG_4910.jpg

IMG_8735.jpg