Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Show your Panel

Default Re: Show your Panel

I bought the sample kit from https://carbonfibergear.com/collections/materials and picked out the pattern that matched the rest of the carbon fiber from CC and then bought a 4x3 sheet, they come with a 3m backer but it is actually carbon fiber so it is a little thicker than a sticker. A few years ago carbon fiber gear had a lot more to choose from. Looks like it is more limited now but dragon plate does sheets too. Also everyone said I would have problems with glare off the glossy finish but I have not had any issues in 65 hours of summer flying.

So did you make from scratch a carbon fiber panel? Or did you cover the aluminum panel that came with the kit?

Getting more interesting...

David

Quote Originally Posted by David H View Post
    So did you make from scratch a carbon fiber panel? Or did you cover the aluminum panel that came with the kit?

Getting more interesting...

David
    P1010725.jpgP1010726.jpgP1010727.jpgP1010728.jpgP1010729.jpgP1010730.jpg

I'm just getting my panel and wiring in place in my build.

I also purchased some of the carbon fiber 3M paper and was going to install it. I watched videos and researched and I feel it would have worked fine...but I didn't like the color combinations....it just didn't match "exactly" with the Cub Crafters true carbon fiber look. So then I went and visited with a local guy here that does the hydro-dipping. He had done truck wheels in a titanium carbon fiber look that had a bit of silver to it. I've found in the past that if you can't exactly match something....you are better off to go with contrast. This color made a great contrast to not only the CC carbon fiber (more black and gold look) but also a great contrast to the black instruments on the panels.

I did the headers as well as the panel and sent it back to Mitch.....who had them install on my panel. The hydro also is more permanent I think and completely goes around the edges, into holes, etc.

The local fella here not only dipped it but then sprayed some "candy" clearcoat over it to just give it that little something extra. I'd be glad to share his info for anyone interested. I love mine so far.

I'm planning to get my custom panel cut soon now all the kit has been bought.
    This is the CAD that I'm planning to send to the CNC folk.
    Any comments or suggestions before the metal gets cut?
    Thanks.
    slide2.png

ELT remote could be put in the left wing root above pilot's left shoulder.

Would free up panel space and also be reachable from the back seat...

Also, personal preference but I would put the A/S above the ALT on the left. May want to CNC the notch for the knob on the ALT so you don't have to hand file that, if your ALT has 3 screws and knob in the lower left like most do.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Thanks for the comments Pete.

The ASI and ALT are Winter 57mm instruments and the setting knob just needs a slightly larger hole, so I could decide placement later. The ELT in the wing root panel is a good idea even if it means using the Dremel and a steady hand!

Not sure about your particular ELT, but often they will come with a paper template for cutting the hole for the remote switch.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    ELT remote could be put in the left wing root above pilot's left shoulder.

Would free up panel space and also be reachable from the back seat...
    That's exactly what I did. Easy for both pilot and passenger to reach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Pete
    ✈️CCK-1865-0078 N9PW
    Severna Park, MD W18

IFR panel, All Garmin, G5 as 6 pack back up and GTN625 Certified GPS moving map. GTX45R ADSB Transponder,
    AP, call me with any questions or if you want mounting photos, harness, etc. it's less that you think 352-804-7931

The panel has been laser cut, wrapped and going together. The GRT HX was from a local aircraft being up-graded to Garmin Touch, but is easily up-graded to HXr now they're doing an 8.4" version. Space to the right is for a GRT engine monitor.
    DSC_2783.png