Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: More cabin heat?

Default Re: More cabin heat?

Sorry guys been working and flying this weekend. My plan was to wrap the exhaust pipe with a spring off from an overhead door. I didnt put anything on it after I saw all the studs on it. I agree, much more of anything else is going to restrict airflow. My blower system is in final Beta testing this weekend. I will post some pix when the rest of my control shows up. It worked pretty well today, but still needs a tweak or two.

jim

More testing yesterday. I flew 110 miles to Portland Maine. 28 degrees outside and was able to fly with no jacket and gloves. Here is what i did

1 First thing is to call Zack in parts at CubCrafters and order a window seal kit. It makes a big difference and the weatherstripping is superior to the stuff at Lowes. I have a few more spots to seal yet but it really helps. This is probably the lowest hanging fruit

2 I got the following stuff off Amazon

61TmRzU+8xL._SL1000_.jpg

This is an 82mm x 82 mm Vantech tornado computer cooling fan. Blows like hell, draws little amps, its 12 v

3 Added a DC voltage controller, its a Yeeco 12 v DC volt
    617Hw7y6ftL._SL1001_.jpg

4 Added a cigarette lighter adapter with a switch and a fuse

614bfqO71dL._SL1001_.jpg

5 Put the controller in a plastic box

51bepu+2VXL._SL1100_.jpg

I had my friend John the tinknocker make me a custom piece of aluminum that fits on the floor to mount the fan. I have it taped with alum tape because I want to take the whole thing out quickly in the spring
    John can be reached by text at 207-341-1063 and can make you one and ship as well. I dont know what he is going to charge $$ Hes a honest and hardworking guy, even though he has a beard like ZZ Top

It looks like this on the floor of the cub. It really not in the way of my size 13

fan.jpg

I velcro the rotary controller to a lighter adapter I use, its easy to shut off with the switch, since the cub assc socket is live all the time

switch.jpg

Its my first attempt, i know it looks like polish farmers assembled it. It does blow out more heat without question.
    if you run it in the hangar wide open, you can go up front to the intake and the suction is noticeable. I need to do some outside temps/ heat output temps on different days to compare. A big underlying issue is the single heat muff on one header pipe is not enough heat.
    I am sending a setup to my Pheasant King Corp aviation facility in VT to try, I know he will give it a workout. The whole lashup weighs less than 2 lbs, and can be removed in 3 minutes. The parts from Amazon were less than 50 bucks Fire away, looking for ideas, so shoot bullets at my balloon. I would really like to see it come from CC done by guys who know how to do this stuff, but I understand its more weight and complexity, not what we all look for in LSA

jim
    Last edited by Scouter; 02-09-2017 at 03:04 AM.

Excellent idea, nicely done!

You clearly confirmed airflow is the issue. Love to here how it works when it is cold out though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great job, Jim.

So simple and straight forward--even variable speed. Much simpler than my in duct blower.

As Troy points out, it's the airflow. Too many bends, too much restriction. It's hard to believe that's the case--ever hold your arm out the window at 90 mph? You would think air would come blasting in. I think a passive system fix needs fewer bends, a single larger, less restrictive muff, and maybe a larger, less restrictive mixing box.

Great stuff!

--paul

Thumbs up Re: More cabin heat?

Quote Originally Posted by scouter View Post
    more testing yesterday. I flew 110 miles to portland maine. 28 degrees outside and was able to fly with no jacket and gloves. Here is what i did

1 first thing is to call zack in parts at cubcrafters and order a window seal kit. It makes a big difference and the weatherstripping is superior to the stuff at lowes. I have a few more spots to seal yet but it really helps. This is probably the lowest hanging fruit

2 i got the following stuff off amazon

61TmRzU+8xL._SL1000_.jpg

this is an 82mm x 82 mm vantech tornado computer cooling fan. Blows like hell, draws little amps, its 12 v

3 added a dc voltage controller, its a yeeco 12 v dc volt
    617Hw7y6ftL._SL1001_.jpg

4 added a cigarette lighter adapter with a switch and a fuse

614bfqO71dL._SL1001_.jpg

5 put the controller in a plastic box

51bepu+2VXL._SL1100_.jpg

i had my friend john the tinknocker make me a custom piece of aluminum that fits on the floor to mount the fan. I have it taped with alum tape because i want to take the whole thing out quickly in the spring
    john can be reached by text at 207-341-1063 and can make you one and ship as well. I dont know what he is going to charge $$ hes a honest and hardworking guy, even though he has a beard like zz top

it looks like this on the floor of the cub. It really not in the way of my size 13

fan.jpg

i velcro the rotary controller to a lighter adapter i use, its easy to shut off with the switch, since the cub assc socket is live all the time

switch.jpg

its my first attempt, i know it looks like polish farmers assembled it. It does blow out more heat without question.
    If you run it in the hangar wide open, you can go up front to the intake and the suction is noticeable. I need to do some outside temps/ heat output temps on different days to compare. A big underlying issue is the single heat muff on one header pipe is not enough heat.
    I am sending a setup to my pheasant king corp aviation facility in vt to try, i know he will give it a workout. The whole lashup weighs less than 2 lbs, and can be removed in 3 minutes. The parts from amazon were less than 50 bucks fire away, looking for ideas, so shoot bullets at my balloon. I would really like to see it come from cc done by guys who know how to do this stuff, but i understand its more weight and complexity, not what we all look for in lsa

jim
    sweet!

Jim, slap some Velcro on the alum and floorboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any update on more testing. Looks like a great idea.

I have the opposite problem this week, trying to stay cool while fishing offshore of Venice FL in the gulf. Been kind of windy so we haven't got too far out yet
    image.jpeg

i sent a copy of my fan setup out to the Pheasant Cub man in VT to try. I know he will jump in when he gets a chance to try it. It worked well the other day for me but it wasn't real cold. I plan to mess with it some more when I get home. 24 inches snow on Monday and another foot today coming. I might stay here in the sun for awhile. Someone bring the cub down

jim

Quote Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
    I have the opposite problem this week, trying to stay cool while fishing offshore of Venice FL in the gulf. Been kind of windy so we haven't got too far out yet
    image.jpeg

i sent a copy of my fan setup out to the Pheasant Cub man in VT to try. I know he will jump in when he gets a chance to try it. It worked well the other day for me but it wasn't real cold. I plan to mess with it some more when I get home. 24 inches snow on Monday and another foot today coming. I might stay here in the sun for awhile. Someone bring the cub down

jim
    Don't tempt me. Might need a way to jettison your skis right after take off, would look damn funny arriving in Florida with them still on. As far as the heat rig I plan on using it this weekend. Mornings will be cool enough to give it a good test.
    Glad I left the "Ford toothbrush" in my plane might get just a little to far east to get home before the official "Cubdriver twilight."