Thread: Lord Engine Mounts

Default Lord Engine Mounts

Has anyone replaced their rubber engine mounts with Lord brand mounts? or any other brand then the Lycoming?. I was told there were better mounts out there but I can't find anything for the PA18 conical mount.
    Last edited by stede52; 08-19-2019 at 10:59 AM.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Default Re: Lord Engine Mounts

The Lord mounts are part j-1552. You need 8 of them at about $40-50 each!

They need to be torqued like the Lycoming version very lightly until they just start to bulge (about 4 ft.lb).

I did the conversion on an O320 conical some time ago and there was a small but noticeable improvement, though the old rubber mounts were starting to harden and crack at the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Albery View Post
    The Lord mounts are part j-1552. You need 8 of them at about $40-50 each!

They need to be torqued like the Lycoming version very lightly until they just start to bulge (about 4 ft.lb).

I did the conversion on an O320 conical some time ago and there was a small but noticeable improvement, though the old rubber mounts were starting to harden and crack at the surface.
    Well that's interesting! after posting this I talked to Cubcrafters and they gave me a Lord PN J6230-1 which they are currently using on the FX3. I've been fighting a vibration for a while which has been increasing all the screw holes on the firewall side of the cowl. I've tightened everything I can think of and did a dynamic balance on the prop and the vibration persists. After taking a close look at my mounts I can now see that the bolt head is sitting low in the rubber mount. Hope new mounts will fix the problem.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

I have another question for only EX 3 builders who have installed their rubber shock mounts (because they are different mounts then the EX1 & 2).
    Question: Is there a trick to aligning/clocking together the 3 parts of each mount during the install? Because of the center off sets in the rubber mounts and the center spacer, its difficult to figure out if they are aligned correctly. Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Guys

We have a new kit that gives you the correct new style mounts and hardware. As you know Lord makes a ton of different mounts. With our kit you get the correct mounts that have been tested for your engine and airframe combination. You also get the correct hardware for your installation (which is different than the hardware used on the original engine mounts). Plus you get an installation drawing and customer support now and in the future. Most times it makes sense to buy from the manufacturer, just for the reasons above.

Thanks
    Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch; 08-30-2019 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Guys

We have a new kit that gives you the correct new style mounts and hardware. As you know Lord makes a ton of different mounts. With our kit you get the correct mounts that have been tested for your engine and airframe combination. You also get the correct hardware for your installation (which is different than the hardware used on the original engine mounts). Plus you get an installation drawing and customer support now and in the future. Most times it makes sense to buy from the manufacturer, just for the reasons above.

Thanks
    Mitch
    Mitch, are you going into politics any time soon

I've got 650 hrs on my EX1 and have been chasing a vibration for the last couple hundred hours. After removing the original rubber mounts, it was apparent the mounts were bad and most likely the source of the vibration. I didn't want to go thru this again for a while so after talking to a number of people using conical mounts for their Lycoming 320 and 360's it was apparent that the lord mounts were the best option and would last to TBO which I was looking for because its a real pain to remove and install new mounts with everything on the engine.
    Maybe I was just overthinking the process, however, because the lords were a three piece mount (and pricey) I wanted to make sure I had them in right. I was hoping CubCrafters could give me some advice on the install since they were being used on the EX3, still waiting for that. Long story short, I figure it out and it fixed my vibration issue, I'M SOOOOO HAPPY TO HAVE A SMOOTH RUNNING PLANE AGAIN!!!
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA