Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LightSpeed Ignition problem

Default LightSpeed Ignition problem

I had to cancel a flight and my training when yesterday at run-up the Lightspeed ignition missed really bad when checking the left ignition. Engine runs right on both ignitions and on the right ignition but very bad when switch to the left ignition.
    My mechanic already checked all spark plugs an connectors, them are ok.
    My airplane has only 55 hours since new.
    Has anyone had a problem with their light speed ignition? If so could you share with me your solution?

Thanks in advance.

Gustavo

Default Re: Light Speed Ignition problem

If it runs but runs badly when on one ignition only it may be a bad coil. There are only 4 coils but 8 spark plugs. When you turn one ignition box off you are running on 2 coils and 4 plugs. If one coil is bad you are left running two cylinders.

Do you have an Executive Glass instrument panel? Its really easy to run it up on the bad ignition box for a minute or so, watching the EGTs will tell you right away which cylinder(s) are not firing so you know which coil to look at.
    Last edited by Pete D; 05-22-2012 at 08:23 AM.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Here is the ignition manufacturer's troubleshooting guide:

http://www.lightspeedengineering.com...oubleshoot.htm

Also, give Jeff Glab our Customer Support Manager a call so he can help you out. (509)248-1025 ext 126
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    Here is the ignition manufacturer's troubleshooting guide:

http://www.lightspeedengineering.com...oubleshoot.htm

Also, give Jeff Glab our Customer Support Manager a call so he can help you out. (509)248-1025 ext 126
    What has been the fleet experience with these coils? Do they fail often?
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Default Re: LightSpeed Ignition problem

Just rough numbers off the top of my head, there has been around 150 engines, 4 coils per engine, that makes 600 coils I think I know of maybe 3 or 4 at the most? Not a lot.

I know of several airplanes with 800-1000+ hours on them and running the original coils still. It seems if they have no problems in the first 100 hours they will last a long time.

The only thing I know of in the ignition system that has a life limit is the wires. Everything else is on condition. The plugs are supposed to be cleaned/gapped at 100 hours. Not sure how the iridium plugs are lasting but the earlier ones with standard plugs definitely need re-gapped at 100 hours and would probably last around 300 hours before needing replacement. The iridiums that are used now should be better than that.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Just rough numbers off the top of my head, there has been around 150 engines, 4 coils per engine, that makes 600 coils I think I know of maybe 3 or 4 at the most? Not a lot.

I know of several airplanes with 800-1000+ hours on them and running the original coils still. It seems if they have no problems in the first 100 hours they will last a long time.

The only thing I know of in the ignition system that has a life limit is the wires. Everything else is on condition. The plugs are supposed to be cleaned/gapped at 100 hours. Not sure how the iridium plugs are lasting but the earlier ones with standard plugs definitely need re-gapped at 100 hours and would probably last around 300 hours before needing replacement. The iridiums that are used now should be better than that.
    Thanks Pete. Much better record than than we would see with magnetos.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

It is not a lot if one of those isn't your plane, TOO MANY IF IT IS MY NEW PLANE.

I am "new" in the aviation world, I am from another country and is a lot of trouble to travel in to a foreign country to learn to fly. I am learning with my three kids Gustavo Jr (20 years old), Adolfo (18) and Karla!!!(16) in Promark Aviation in Burnet, Tx. I bought a new plane to have less problems and for it be safer for my family.

Today we received a new ignition module from "LightSpeed" we switched it for the left one and it worked great! We put the cowling, taxied the plane to the runway and in the run up the problem was there again!
    My mechanic already contacted Klaus from the Speedlight company and I hope tomorrow we can fix this and fly safe.

Saludos
    Gustavo

I was going to suggest possibly a bad key switch. But sounds like you solved the problem.

What is the proper gap on the plugs Pete?

Today we followed the LightSpeed trouble shooting guide again and it looks like the New Ignition they sent yesterday was bad as well, unless the problem is something in the system; however, that is not very likely.
    The last troubleshoot preformed by my mechanic was to switch the new bad module from the left to the right ignition along with switching input and output cables. The problem follows the bad module. Tomorrow they will send us again a new one.
    This is not the first major problem I have encountered. The issue prior to this one was a large fuel leak at the fuel tank selector that if ignited, would have been an unimaginable experience.
    I purchased this new plane instead of an used aircraft to avoid experiences such as this one. I find this extremely frustrating.
    I hope and expect CC to resolve this issue soon. I travel to Burnet TX for flight training and this problem is not only an inconvenience for me but also a large expense on flight training due to extra time and money that I will pay.

Here is a link with a short video of how this problem looks when switch to the bad ignition:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilx37PM8ngs

Gustavo

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    I was going to suggest possibly a bad key switch. But sounds like you solved the problem.

What is the proper gap on the plugs Pete?
    Spark plug gap for the CC340 engine is .032-.040 per the CC11-160 AMM section 6.3.18 pg 2

http://www.cubcrafters.com/pdfs/ccss/cc11-160amm.pdf
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc