Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G3x/xm ?

Default G3x/xm ?

Is necessary to have an XM subscription to have the G3X - GTX345 identify TFR's?

Default Re: G3x/xm ?

ADS B "in" should give you wx, traffic and TFRs. From what I understand. Id be skeptical if someone tells you that XM is worth it over the free stuff.... IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Robbymc View Post
    ADS B "in" should give you wx, traffic and TFRs. From what I understand. Id be skeptical if someone tells you that XM is worth it over the free stuff.... IMHO
    As Meatloaf said "two out of three ain't bad" but I still want all three. Wx and traffic show fine without XM just not TRF's.

Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    Is necessary to have an XM subscription to have the G3X - GTX345 identify TFR's?
    Hey Glenn
    Get the Xm. I had to ferry a second plane a home the other day with ADSB weather and is terrible. It would be fine local flying , if you plan to do any cross country get the XM, I found ADSB to be very inaccurate with rain and being able to navigate in it. Besides how can you listen to music without it😂
    Chuck
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

Quote Originally Posted by Springloaded View Post
    Hey Glenn
    Get the Xm. I had to ferry a second plane a home the other day with ADSB weather and is terrible. It would be fine local flying , if you plan to do any cross country get the XM, I found ADSB to be very inaccurate with rain and being able to navigate in it. Besides how can you listen to music without it😂
    Chuck
    Will TFR's show up only with XM or am I just not dialed in yet?
    Last edited by 40m; 09-06-2019 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    Will TFR's show up only with XM or am I just not dialed in yet?
    i think they will but I really don’t know.
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

Glenn,
    Ive flown all my Carbon Cubs with just XM Radio (not weather.... I too like tunes!), and I have always received the TFR's thru ADSB IN. The thing is, they only appear on the Garmin chart, not on the VFR chart.

I will say they arent CONSISTENTLY there.... I found once in a while that on Foreflight on my iPad or phone, I see a TFR thats not on my Garmin Chart on the G3X. Dont know why....

I have just upgraded to XM Weather IN as well, and havnt flown any long cross country to test it yet, but I susptect, as Chuck noted, that it will be better Weather info..... there are screens that XM gives you like winds aloft that are not available on ADSB IN.

Rick

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    CubCrafters Dealer for AZ/NM/UT/CO/southern WY
    www.suncountrycubs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bosshardt View Post
    Glenn,

I will say they arent CONSISTENTLY there.... I found once in a while that on Foreflight on my iPad or phone, I see a TFR thats not on my Garmin Chart on the G3X. Dont know why....

Rick
    A few times I have seen a TFR on one device but not on another because one device was showing a TFR that was scheduled or no longer active. Next time you see that discrepancy maybe look at the details and confirm the date/time of the TFR? It is possibly displaying a TFR that isn't active at that time.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    A few times I have seen a TFR on one device but not on another because one device was showing a TFR that was scheduled or no longer active. Next time you see that discrepancy maybe look at the details and confirm the date/time of the TFR? It is possibly displaying a TFR that isn't active at that time.
    Last Saturday VP Pence was south of me for the weekend. My Ipad with Foreflight showed the TFR but not the G3X.

Seems like this is how I recall it working:

FIS-B through ADSB-IN will have the weather with 5-10 minute delay along with TFR data. This is coming from ground based stations so may need to have some altitude and be within ground station range to get this data. Weather is high res only when close to you and low res further away. So if you are looking for TFR or weather it may not show up if not in range of ground stations.

You can get XM like Mark said with radio only for getting all the XM audio channels. The added subscription will get you the XM weather. Advantage is it coming in from satellite so available when on the ground or any altitude and is high res for the entire US. Weather is usually no more then 5 minutes delayed.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..